• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-Ton HMTT Prototype Restoration and TACOM Show

paradeduty

Just thought I would finally get to posting the pictures that I have of the final restoration "push" that we did on the 5-Ton HMTT (High Mobility Tactical Truck) Prototype and of it at the TACOM/Veterans Weekend Show right after. I wish I had taken more, but with work and all, getting it all done was first priority!

This first set is of the rig all naked - most of the trinkets removed so my bud Ed could use some very cool aviation paint stripper to get all of the layers of OD off of the chrome and stainless. A few showing the discovery excursion on the doors to see the layers of ARMY registration numbers (never got an "M" number) under the layers of repaints. A few shots of me grinding off a few years of "accessories" as we tried to race the setting sun.

Dave

Attachments

paradeduty

More pictures

Brought it into the "truck barn" for some after hours work. Couple of my good friends helping me out (more like saving me from myself!). Quite a few of my friends are Hot Rod and Classic Car guys. We have known each other long enough that they don't let me any closer to paint, etc., than that with a roller! We have a standing agreement - I let them do my paint and they will let me do their electric work - so far everyone is still alive.

Attachments

paradeduty

More pictures

Back outside for some taping and sealer/primer. Then the grand experiment with the Behr Latex Flat Paint. To be honest, it looked a dead ringer for the Stryker that was parked next to it at the show! Sadly, no more pictures of the reassembly as the clock was moving way too fast and the donated tractor/trailer/driver that was taking it to the show and back was due to show up at 4:30 am the next morning! Let me tell you - it was some high stress moments!

Attachments

paradeduty

Show Pictures

Some pictures of her as done as she was going to get (nothings as perfect as you want it to be). Cought my bestest wife ever, Mary, taking a well deserved rest under the canopy. The show was great with a lot of very cool folks. Mary put together the "story board" (very cool). We decided to take some liberties with making the replacement grill insert (the original was pretty mangled) to save time and money and better quality cutting at the CNC fab shop. Took some cues from the production HEMTT Grills. Met the Trucker up there with the PLS to bring to the show, too.

Attachments

paradeduty

More Show

Sadly, the show had to end sometime and it was time to load her up and get her back home. Was kind of appropriate - a Kenworth hauling a Kenworth - very cool! The TACOM folks were awesome and asked me to present a T-shirt made for the show to the truck driver (who volunteered his time) as a small thank you from them. He said he had a great time and is looking for an MV as we speak! And before you ask - Yes, the chrome air horns, cab lights, mirror frames, grab handles, and all were originally left civy chrome! I actually ended up with one honest MV with bling! Who would have thunk it!

Enjoy, Dave.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I LOVE that truck!!! Great job, she looks FANTASTIC!!

[thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup] [thumbzup]

Amazing how it dwarfs the Deuce next to it at the show....

paradeduty

Thanks, guys. She really did turn out pretty good.

Yes, that is the original 8,000 lb hydraulic recovery winch that is side mounted between #2 and #3 axles on the passenger side. You might just be able to make out the silverish data plate rivetted to the passenger dropside over the winch for it. It was made in Sweden and brought over here for trials. There are still some hydraulic issues to be hammered out on the truck, but the (3) hydraulic pumps are all reinstalled on the Detroit 6V53TA (very tight squeeze). Still can't believe that I was able to find many of the replacement cab parts to help clean her up. Someone has actually been repoping the headlight buckets and bezels brand new. I was able to get new stainless steel piano door hinges (pricey - but can't beat them) from Kenworth to replace the rusted and binding originals - believe it or not, all the holes lined up with the original doors and jams with hinges still used on late model trucks! Was actually able to get a new Kenworth "Keyhole" emblem to fit the grill surround from the factory. All of the trim and grab irons are chrome plated cast aluminum and cleaned up great. Still have to get to stenciling the numbers back on - just didn't want to push my luck on the fresh paint - and really did not have the time before the pickup anyways. Projects are never really finished!

paradeduty

Hey Guys,

Yup - it is the same basic chassis as yours, Bjorn. They did lift the suspension about 1.5 to 2 inches. It is taller than it states in the "Wheeled Military Vehicles" book - since the entry in the book, the smaller HIAB crane (a 350?) was swapped out for a HIAB 650. This basically brings the truck to about 11 to 11.5 feet - which necessitates the RGN trailer.

I got this truck from the research unit in northern Michigan that had had it since they got it way back in the late 70's for testing. As far as I know, they only made this one of the 5-ton versions. This one is numbered "Prototype No. 1" and Serial Number "5THMTT0001". There were a few of the 10-ton versions made by PACAR in Washington State around the same time. They used a Kenworth cab as well, but were a completely new truck (not "adapted" as the 5-ton was from the 656 chassis). The 10 tonners also used the Detroit 8V92TA instead of this one's 6V53T.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
To bad you did not get my XM9770000001, that way you would have had 01 of both the 5t and 10t photo types, now that would be something,

paradeduty

Shure would have, Ron - but my plate is pretty darn full now with insane work and all. But, you never really know what might cross your path in the future! Just trying to be thankful for the cool toys in the barn that I have (and looking forward to having some time to play with them!).

Dave.