• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton hub & brake drum

groundog

:) what is the best way to remove hub and brake drum? I have the nuts off and outer bearing out but it is very heavy do you use a engine hoist or what --rear axle -- thanks

the hoist work good I have a piece of 1 1/2 by 1/4 strap with a 3/4 hole in each end so I can use a lug nut to hold the strap to the hub and a clevis to the hoist . the strap is about 8 inches long . I have not used this on my m52a2 but it worked great on my m269 low boy' .kenny

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are often removed with a jack type carriage on creeper type wheels. You leave the wheel/wheels on, and just slide them off. Same going back on. I made a similiar type carriage, but without the jack part. I use a floor jack, under the axel, to adjust its hieght. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

If your doing it by hand, it can be tricky. The brake shoes need to be backed off, but you can use them, to carry some of the weight & help in alignment.

Lee in Alaska

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly the reason I only own deuces. I can't lift the dang parts of a 5 tom with my back the way it is.

groundog

lifting it by hand sounds good but at 66 years old I can not lift like I used to---making a strap and using the engine hoist seems the best way for me to go--I priced a wheel lift and they run around 375.00 plus tax---would be nice to have

acetomatoco

leave the wheels and tires on and grease the floor, adjust the height with your floor jack on the axle and slide em on and off with a 4 x 4 pusher stick..easier with Soldier2 helping.

beaubeau

Same as acetomato, I would use 2 pieces of wood with Grease in between them, block top one so wheel doesnt roll. Slide wheels off, and install in reverse. Good luck, Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks