• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton in driveway?

valupak

I am pondering the thought of getting a 5 ton. I just had a quick question and hopefully someone can answer it. Would a standard residential driveway (approx 4 inches probably) support the 21,500 pounds of truck that is a 5 ton and not crack? If anyone has any experience parking them in their driveway, let me know. I would really rather not just park it on the street all the time....

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My driveway is in a residential neighborhood in a suburb with 2 14 inch strips of concrete. It is not a solid slab. I doubt it is even 4 inches thick but I have had no issues. Does tear up some dirt when wet as it is slightly wider than the typical driveway with duals. It also rains here alot..........

You might want to check zoning or neighborhood restrictions.

ryan77

Depends whats under the concrete! If it has 4" of compacted gravel under it you could park a tank on it!

Scarecrow1

I don't keep mine parked on drive way but, I bring it over often and haven't had a cracking problem yet. It will leave marks on it from the tires and it will last a while. The wife always said well i see you have been working on your toy today :)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends whats under the concrete! If it has 4" of compacted gravel under it you could park a tank on it!
:ditto:

I've seen 4" hold up 80,000lb tractor trailers and I've seen 8" fall to pieces with just auto traffic. It all depends on what's under the concrete.

I'd be very cautious running a 5-ton on a residential asphalt driveway, especially in hot weather. That also depends a lot on what the base is but turns and sitting in one spot too long can even take it's toll on the best asphalt driveway.

ntxcop

You should be just fine! I had mine parked in the driveway for 3 months, until the city of Fort Worth told me to move it. (That was discussed in another thread....auaaua).

I'm not a structural engineer, but I had not problems with mine damaging the concrete driveway.

Attachments

Last edited:

jedawson1

4" concrete with fiber over 3" of gravel. I drive the 5ton over my parking area weekly for the past year with no problems.

I have had concrete begin to pop under me in a utility pole truck. It's loud and will startle you until you realize what's happening. I would dig a small hole next to the driveway to see how thick and what base is under the concrete. Should only take a few minutes for assurance that the builder didn't skimp on the concrete.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is really no way to check what is under your concrete unless you dig it up or you were there when they prepped the base. You can have a good gravel base but still have bad ground under the base.

One of the most common problems is building the driveway over a uncompacted dirt fill or other unstable soil. Over time the dirt settles and you end up with a void under the concrete. You can sometimes tell if this is the case by taking something like a fairly heavy 6x6 block and dropping it on the concrete at different spots. If you hear and feel a hollow sound, you've got a hollow space under your slab.