• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Inner Seal Removal

RAYZER

Usually those seals require some massaging.
Just getting it started is an important step, a light ball peen hammer working around the perimeter, "railing" it into the housing about 1/16th",
Then take some flat stock that spans the seal and with a bigger hammer work the seal in to flush.
This is how I do it and it works for me.

ke5eua

I'm going to get some dry ice when the new assemblies come in and freeze them and heat up the area at the same time.

She is fighting me that is for sure, sorta like my second wife, I think they might be related, lol

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you get the seal sideways enough to bend it? Did you put it in and start wailing on it? I have always tapped in the seal with a suitable driver and pilot tool, if it starts to turn you can always tell if you look at it frequently and straighten it out. I've had plenty try and twist out, but you watch for that.

The key is go slow and check your progress frequently. There's no way to mess up a seal if you take your time installing it. Good luck on your next attempt.

ke5eua

How did you get the seal sideways enough to bend it? Did you put it in and start wailing on it? I have always tapped in the seal with a suitable driver and pilot tool, if it starts to turn you can always tell if you look at it frequently and straighten it out. I've had plenty try and twist out, but you watch for that.

The key is go slow and check your progress frequently. There's no way to mess up a seal if you take your time installing it. Good luck on your next attempt.
I was using a pilot tool, set it straight and when I started tapping it in it went crooked, getting it out is where the fun was.

The big carrier is still in the axle housing so I'm having to stand up behind it to hold it up and tap it in.

It is being a real PITA.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I made a lonnnnnnnnnnnng seal driver, once I got it started making sure everything was square, then a few taps, check on being square, then it was just a matter of seating the seal. I did not heat or cool anything, just took my tine doing the install, I am not sure how well the sealing seal material will handle the dry ice cold. I have been turning wrenches since I was 14, installing seals and other inter fit parts, I find that SLOW is your friend, no matter how slow you are, it still faster then a second or third attempted install, certain times heat and cooling helps on metal to metal parts, but almost never on a seal install because the seal case is designed to give just a bit as the seal is pressed in, giving the needed tight connection to the mount.

ke5eua

Alright guys. I've got both knuckles off and tried to use a 3/4 pipe to push the seal retainer out and all I did was beat up the pipe.

Suggestions?

I tried to use a crowbar and now I have a 90 degree crowbar.

ke5eua

Got them out, now the fun part of putting them back in.

I have had to pop it back out at least 4 times now. I'll put it as level as I possibly can, put the bearing seater tool on it and hit it with the hammer. As soon as I hit it, it goes in crooked.

Tried a 4x4 and just split the wood.

Jeepsinker

Take the seal retainer and grind a small bevel on the inside lip so it will pilot itself into the tube better. It should have a bevel already but I've seen a couple that didn't.