• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton ISO Bed Bow length

TacticalDoc

5 Ton ISO Bed canvas installation new questions

EDIT
So I got the bows up ad pulled out the canvas. It seems like there are 2 sets of covers. Maybe when they changed the bed they kept the old cover. The other one is almost new and was folded up nicely. It also looks larger.

So, my question is how does it go on? I know the there are ropes on the sides that I tie down but I want to role the sides up. And there are no internal straps to attach to the bows. There as also some small straps that came with the set but don't know what they are for.

IMG_0532.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0539.jpgIMG_0540.jpgIMG_0533.jpg

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

I have 7 bows, 4 side rails (2 different lengths), 14 angles and 14 fiberglass posts (3ft 9 in). This is for an ISO bed.

The part I don't understand is why are there short posts (3'9") and 14 of them. Do they connect?
Do the side rails stay on by sliding the posts through the side rails into the bed?

IMG_0523.jpgIMG_0524.jpgIMG_0525.jpgIMG_0526.jpg
I also found these that fit the angles
canvas straps.jpg

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

So, I put most of it together but I think this was for a standard bed. There are 7 bows and the bed has slots for at least 8. I'll see how the canvas fits tomorrow.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

Put the canvas on and it seems too long.

There are straps pn the outside but no internal straps... So, how do you strap the canvas to the bows?

IMG_0547.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0545.jpgIMG_0542.jpg

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The vinyl cover does not get strapped to the bows. If you mean when you roll the sides up how can I strap them to stay up you can't with the canvas straps you have in the pictures. The old school canvas covers had a friction buckle sown to them so when you rolled the sides up the strap that screws to the corner would buckle to them. Some of the newer vinyl covers have a square ring on them you can see them on top in this picture, ISO cover.jpg and pretty sure yours has them too. It takes a nylon strap with a hard nylon buckle like the M1102 trailers have to roll up the sides.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

IMG_0555.jpg
Not sure what you are saying. Mine has strap clamps on top. But, I can't roll up the sides if the cover isn't attached to the bows from the inside.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Your good, you have the older style buckle, after you get the ends of the tarp tied down to the bed(the ropes threaded through the ends) you will be able to roll up the sides and attach the strap from the bow corner to the buckle on the tarp, that will hold it to the bow. The more folks you have helping you the easier it will be. I know you don't think so but there has never been anything on the inside of a truck cargo cover to attach them to the bows. Only place I have seen anything like that is on the side in the middle of a M105 trailer cover, the sheer weight of the tarp and the end ropes keeps it on. The military hardly ever rolled up the sides they usually have them tied down of off completely. On your bow corners there is a boss that your short strap screw into, those are the ones that go to the buckle on top of the tarp.canvas straps.jpg also some times the inside of the tarp will have FRONT stenciled on it usually with maker and part#.

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

its making a little more sense. So, untie the sides. Screw the little straps to the metal angle that attaches to the bow. And weave those straps into the clips on top of the canvas. It that right?

I guess the little straps hold the canvas to the angle of the bows.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the bows on my M813 when it came out of the Marines. The gap in the cross rail/backrest near the front is because the seats don't go any further forward, and so you can sling the spare over the side without the rail being in the way.

The tarp looks too long at first, but when you cinch it down front and rear with the overlap, it fits fine. The overlap keeps it respectably weatherproof inside.

When rolled up on the sides, secure your front/rear ropes to the bed (as TacticalDoc has done), they hold the ends of the tarp down just fine. All the little straps in the middle keep the edges from flapping.
Also, as shown above, roll the tarp sides up from inside so they don't hold water if it rains.

I use small bungees, the type with a ball at one end, to keep the rear flap secure when it's down. Quick and easy to remove to open up.

Cheers

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep and now that you got it on, no thanks to me it's in the TM as DH says, just couldn't find it earlier. #3

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My front rope was tied under the bow rack, that sheet metal thing with all the slots attached to the front outside of the bed.
The rear rope is secured to the two tail-gate hooks. (See the third picture above). I tied a loop in one end of the rope, put both under the hooks, then the free end of the second rope through the looped end, cinch down and tie it off.

Cheers

Okay, just looked at your post again, and MWMules', and thought maybe you were talking about the end curtains?
Yes, just ran a rope through the grommets and laced them to the bows. The rear one, I just laced across the top, leaving the sides free so it can be rolled up.
I'll try to find some pictures for you. Meanwhile, check in the manual to see if that makes it clear for you.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks