• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Issue

pwrwagonfire

Gentlemen,

Our 5-ton at work has this issue...
Apparently it runs and drives perfectly, but when you leave the truck to idle, it stalls out.

I know that this is cryptic....but any ideas on where I should begin looking this week? I searched the forum, but couldn't find anybody with the same issue

Thanks in advance!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This must be a question for Carnac as there a lot of different kinds of 5 tons.
Cracked rubber fuel lines ?

pwrwagonfire

I will get the answers to these questions today for you guys! I'm unsure of the model, however I know it is a 1977. I will get that information.
I am new to this work location, and from what I am told it just developed this issue all of a sudden

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5-ton, 1977 my guess is an 809 series with a NHC-250 Cummins. Next guess.

Vintage iron

I live in Mass. and I have a company that maintains 5 tons and 2 1/2 ton trucks. Give me a call and i can help you over the phone. Matt 617-650-2108

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would add almost any 5 ton replacing all the rubber fuel lines will eather fix or help stop any future problems. If nothing else think of it as a pre-emptive strike.

pwrwagonfire

I would add almost any 5 ton replacing all the rubber fuel lines will eather fix or help stop any future problems. If nothing else think of it as a pre-emptive strike.

Good thought! Will check with the boss and see if this is do-able $$$ wise...I know that the fuel filters were replaced to try and solve the issue, but it didn't help

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all you hose fittings are barbed then it's just the coast of some rubber hose. The only outher that is not barbed would be the one going from the the filter base to the PT.

pwrwagonfire

If all you hose fittings are barbed then it's just the coast of some rubber hose. The only outher that is not barbed would be the one going from the the filter base to the PT.
Definitely something SIMPLE and fuel related then, excellent.

Why would idle make it die, is it because the fuel is interrupted when the vacuum from the motor goes down? I had a similar issue on my M-37, except that had an accelerator pump issue...

tobyS

It is probably a very small leak that is less significant at higher rpm, since it is pumping more fuel. While letting the pump get a small amount of air with the fuel, it is not enough to break the vacuum.

At idle, with less fuel flow, a small amount of air makes a big difference and once the vacuum is broken, then it's "sucking air".

I would be looking for a sign of wetness, since it can leak out when not running through the same crack that air is going in when it's running.

I think I have heard of something being sprayed on while running, maybe ether, that gives an rpm boost when you spray it on the opening...but I'm not sure.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have heard of something being sprayed on while running, maybe ether, that gives an rpm boost when you spray it on the opening...but I'm not sure.
Yea that is done when looking for something like a manifold gasket leak on cars. On a carbed or throttel body any air leak after them could cause a lean mixture. On our direct injection a bad manifold gasket is just letting in dirty air but still could be checked with propane.

Last edited:

paradeduty

Does the 5-ton with the Cummins use an electric, in-the-tank fuel pump like the multi-fuels? Someone on here had mentioned that the Cummins had enough vacuum to keep running when the fuel pump quit, so I was wondering if the vacuum might be too low 'at idle' to keep running if the pump quit, but high enough otherwise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks