• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton lockers

290smallcam

Does or has anyone run a set of lockers in both rear axles? If so, how is it? Do both of them lock up at the same time? Does one wear out faster than the other? The site for the Detroit locker states that the outer wheel will disingage and spin freely? Has any one had more tire wear than another? Does it indeed unlock while truning? I want to put a locker in both rear axles.
Thanks

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 lockers in my rear axles on my M818. My tires seem a little more worn than the front, but that's from my driving habits of not letting up in most corners. Also when the roads are wet, covered in ice, it feels like rear of my truck pushes the front of the truck. What I mean by this is it doesn't like to turn very well on slick/wet roads due to the lockers not letting up as they should on the low traction surface.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own 2 of them used, but are not installed. Detroit Locker is locked when under positive torque, so to minimize tire wear one should let off the throttle going into a corner when possible.
Pretty sure a Detroit locker is always locked. Under power, coasting straight or even sitting in your driveway while your asleep. Only lets loose when the conditions on one axle is allowed to spin faster then the other.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a Navy M925A1 that has Detroit lockers in it and you can feel them in a turn, but they work ok.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torque does not hold the locker together it is two big springs on both sides. Power turn or coasting turn the locker will unlock. I have one for a 916/ 920 I will get some pics as it is apart in my shop. You can see how the ramps on both side ratchet if one axle is allowed to spin faster than the other.

74M35A2

Torque does not hold the locker together it is two big springs on both sides. Power turn or coasting turn the locker will unlock. I have one for a 916/ 920 I will get some pics as it is apart in my shop. You can see how the ramps on both side ratchet if one axle is allowed to spin faster than the other.
Do it, then we can all learn, and I’ll erase my errant guesses. I have two of them on a shelf at work as well I never installed, I’ll see if I can study them tomorrow. Wonder if the 5t vs automotive ones are different in operation?

Really want the air locker axles from the fire truck. Nobody has confirmed if they fit, as far as width, mounting, etc....

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Detroit lockers Tructrac that were in our older military trucks are Detroit lockers. See in the pic of web sight. Yea they work real well but not good on trucks that make a lot of hard turns on payment. Now there are more designed offered and still people call them Detroit lockers but different designed and operate different. You can read the whole page and it also shows a break down of the one in our trucks that are old style and even says not good for the street. https://www.crawlpedia.com/locker_comparison.htm

Last edited:

74M35A2

Florida.... is right. I watched this video on Eaton’s site which explained their Detroit Locker operation.

Ramped dogs allow an axle to over-run and spin faster, but not slower, than the diff RPM. So outside wheel ratchets, as the inner powers the vehicle through the corner.

I edited / deleted my posts above as to not have wrong info posted. Thanks.

Reactions: 98G

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea no worries, with the Truetrac to much use on payment the sharp cornors will start to wear down.

Last edited:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like Floridianson meant to say Detroit instead of TrueTrac. Although now I'm thinking about Detroit lockers in the rear, and a TrueTrac in the front... or TrueTracs all around? 5 ton TrueTracs would get a lot of people interested.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sold my last NOS Detroit No Spin last year to a member at the Trenton Rally. I picked it up maybe 13 years ago at the Ga. rally . Maybe take outs from a USMC 5 ton MV. The Detroit No Spin that was first put in the MV's and most USMC were called Detroit No Spin Truetrac. The Truetrac name was even on the install instructions. Looks like now they have the newer model and they are calling it the Truetrac. So Brutacus is correct I forgot the No Spin that was on the instructions label. So they were really not called Detroit Lockers they were Detroit No Spin by Eaton Truetrac in our MV's. Sorry getting old and grumpy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just sold my last NOS Detroit No Spin last year to a member at the Trenton Rally. I picked it up maybe 13 years ago at the Ga. rally . Maybe take outs from a USMC 5 ton MV. The Detroit No Spin that was first put in the MV's and most USMC were called Detroit No Spin Truetrac. The Truetrac name was even on the install instructions. Looks like now they have the newer model and they are calling it the Truetrac. So Brutacus is correct I forgot the No Spin that was on the instructions label. So they were really not called Detroit Lockers they were Detroit No Spin by Eaton Truetrac in our MV's. Sorry getting old and grumpy.
I didn't know they were using the term TrueTrac back then. It sounds like it's an old name of the division that was manufacturing the No-Spins. I've always heard Detroit locker, or No-spin locker. My M818 is an old USMC truck. It has the No-Spin lockers in the two rear differentials with the front differential being open, but if a selectable locker, or a limited slip Truetrac was optional I would switch over.

davidb56

I didn't know they were using the term TrueTrac back then. It sounds like it's an old name of the division that was manufacturing the No-Spins. I've always heard Detroit locker, or No-spin locker. My M818 is an old USMC truck. It has the No-Spin lockers in the two rear differentials with the front differential being open, but if a selectable locker, or a limited slip Truetrac was optional I would switch over.
The Eaton TrueTrac would be great for our trucks, but I haven't seen any produced for anything bigger than a Humvee. I suppose if you have a Detroit or Ouverson Locker in your truck, you could add the Overson Hubs (one or two?) and unlock the the axel until you need it. I'd have to call them to verify it.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen the truetrac available for a Dana 70HD - a little bigger than a humvee but I haven't searched for anything bigger.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea all my USMC 816's had the No Spin just like the pictures of the Detroit No Spin. Even the one that came out of a 916 was much bigger but same looking as the ones on the 5 ton Detroit No Spin. When I bobbed two 5 tons I used the USMC axle with the No Spin. Guess through the years we started saying Detroit lockers but everything in it's place and correct name for everything. Reading the Eaton manual they even call it the Detroit locker or the No Spin but O well. So these days having to be politically correct and with gender awareness our old MV's had the Detroit No Spin.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Eaton TrueTrac would be great for our trucks, but I haven't seen any produced for anything bigger than a Humvee. I suppose if you have a Detroit or Ouverson Locker in your truck, you could add the Overson Hubs (one or two?) and unlock the the axel until you need it. I'd have to call them to verify it.
Yea the No Spin in the front with Overson hubs and air lockers in the rears or if they make a locker for the rear axles that is more forgiving than the No Spin. The 816's I left as is ( not bobbed ) both rears and both with No Spins did one heck of a job in the local mud pit called Hogwaller here in Florida. I wanted to install the No Spin I had before I sold it in one of the USMC 816's to really see what it could do but never happened. Selling just about everything and getting out of the Olive Drab McCool stuff. I will keep my first Deuce and the M37.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks