• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton m816 wrecker no engine RPM

Rick73aggie

My m816 will not produce over 1200 rpm, it used to run just fine. I have looked at the linkage, no problem there I can see. Governor seems to be working just fine. It makes no difference where I set the remote throttle at the rear winch. I had to remove the primer pump nozzle from the intake and clean, it now works. I drained the water from fuel filter and looked at filter, seems clean. At my wits end, anybody with a idea where I need to start looking.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it hard to start as well? Could be sucking air. If it is hard to start, slow to drop rpms when letting off throttle, and won't run up past a point, it is most likely air leak in the fuel system.

If it just won't run over 1200rpm but otherwise fine, sounds like a fuel restriction. Switch tanks with selector switch. If that works you have a blockage in one tank. If it doesn't work, change the filter, if that doesn't do it check filter in the IP.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine does the same thing, try draining all the air out of the tanks and see if it still does it. Mine will hit high RPMs with no air in the tanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the auxiliary governor is engaged.

wcuhillbilly

:ditto: If you drain the air from your system and the engine is off, take a small set of pliers and push the piston on the Bimbi cylinder at the rear top of the injection Pump (IP), back into itself, then turn it a quarter turn. I should stay in. It may be out far enough to be caught on the carriage bolt that is the adjuster on the govener linkage, Mine likes to overshoot this bolt and hang up. Once it is retracted and locked, fire the engine, build air and see if you can reach higher RPMs.
I hate having to raise the hood everytime I use the crane, thus Im working on replacing the line for the aux gov and putting an air switch in the cab that I can engage and dis-engage the aux Gov from the driver seat.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is set for 1100 rpm. Rick is your rear winch /hyd. control back in the off pisition. That is the leaver faceing the passenger side and controls Hyd. and brings in the Aux governer. Don't think it could happen but if the air cylinder is correct on the PT then check the linkage that runs from the rear control up to around the transfer case air switch then to the PT.

I corrected this post to read a little better.

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Mine is set for 1100 rpm. Rick is your rear winch /hyd. control back in the off pisition. That is the leaver on the passenger side and controls Hyd. and brings in the Aux governer. Don't think it could happen but if the air cylinder is correct on the PT then check the linkage that runs from the rear control up to around the transfer case air switch then to the PT.
HMMMMM!!!! mine doesnt have this linkage..... just the johny bar at the winch control in the bed with the throttle lever/cable.. I mean I do have the crane/winch engage/disengage levers but they are on the Driverside rear of the winch..... Im gonna have to go crawl under it again......

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok yea the drivers side but there are two leavers. Faceing the rear it would be the left one or Hyd. not winch control. This is the one that brings up the hyds. and puts the aux. gov. into play. If you trace down the linkage there is a valve that opens to alow air to the Aux. Gov. So in real time if all is correct the air cylinder on the PT will not have air to it if the rear is not ingaged. The incab behind the driver seat just brings the transfer case PTO into play.

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

Ok yea the drivers side but there are two leavers. Faceing the rear it would be the left one or Hyd. not winch control. This is the one that brings up the hyds. and puts the aux. gov. into play. If you trace down the linkage there is a valve that opens to alow air to the Aux. Gov. So in real time if all is correct the air cylinder on the PT will not have air to it if the rear is not ingaged. The incab behind the driver seat just brings the transfer case PTO into play.
Ok, thought i was missing something with the "passenger side" thing. Yes this is how mine is set up

Rick73aggie

thank you, all those TM can be confusing, a lot of pages with only one or two that apply to the problem but does not answer the question. thanks for narrowing this down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks