• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Mack engine

ryan

I have a m54 with a multifuel that is about wore out I think. Even if it is not wore out it is guttless. I put 16.00x20's on it. I put a couple thousand miles a year on the truck and would like to be able to pull a halftrack. I know a guy who has a mack engine in a 5 ton he parted out. I would like to put that in my truck. So I guess my question is if the mack engine is much better for power and life expectancy. How bad of a swap is it to do? What is a fair price for the mack? Is the mack engine a civilian based engine or military only for parts replacments?
thanks Ryan

Knucklehead

Mack engine ENDT-673. Series END. T for turbocharged, six cylinders at 73 cubic inches per cylinder. 205 SAE gross HP.It is a regular civilian engine that has military accessories. If you place it in your truck the biggest modification will be to remove the top of the frame channell on the passenger side of the truck to clear the fuel injection pump.There will be a lot of small detail changes you will have to make in order to install the engine.

tedstrucks

The Mack is comparable to the Cummins in power, maybe a little more powerful. It has a better reputation than any engine except maybe a couple of the Cats. It should fit with no problem. The frame, transmission, etc. are the same as the multifuel version.

ryan

mack

What is the difference in transmissions? What small pieces will need to be changed? It looks like I can use the same air cleaner. The mack engine is still in a 5 ton but the front clip is missing and so is the trans.
thanks Ryan

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Au contraire 73M819...gasser & Multifuel 5-tons use a 5-speed straight trans. This is because they run a lot faster RPM than the Mack or Cummins engines. 3400/2700 vs 2100 in terms of governed speed. I have tried overdrive tranmissions in Multifuel trucks, they just won't pull highway speeds in 5th.

The Mack motor is really wonderful powerplant. It fits. It runs well with very little care other than oil & filters. I have put 25K on my M54A1C for 45K total now without any internal or major external fixing.

The radiator uses a different outlet location, but that is no biggie. I have extra brass lower outlet pipes if you need one.

dg

ryan

mack

I really would like to install the mack. I don't know if my multifuel trans is overdrive I doubt it. So I need a od trans, how hard is that to find? If I leave the standard non od trans the truck will just be a little slower right? My super singles may work better with the non od trans, unless the mack has enough power to roll them. The multifuel was really a dog after the bigger tires. The radiator, fan and trans are missing from this mack engine.
thanks for help on this I would like to get going on this project but want to make sure I have what I need before I start.

ryan

mack

I was kind of thinking with the 16.00 tires the straight trans may be better anyway. I want to be able to pull my backhoe trailer with my halftrack on it.
thanks Ryan

I looked at a mack ENDT 673 engine today to replace the LDS in my m52a2 . I'm working on Finding a bell housing and a fly wheel If any one has one of these let me know ? also will I have to move the rear mounts in the frame ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would look at a DT466 or DT360, quite a few laying around. There is a reman 673 on dieselenginetrader, but there is not price on it. I am in the process of pulling my LDS out of my 5 ton and I looked at the mack route and eh, yeah it would be pricey, parts being replaced would be a little bit of $, as well as finding them. I live in the middle of Montana, there isnt much to choose from. I have gone back to the route of putting a 6.9L Navistar in mine. I found another engine out of a bus that is 4x4 and this one is turbocharged with 68k on it for only $700. SAE2 bellhousing and the clutch is almost the same size as the 5 ton anyways and the same spline pattern. I was looking as far as cheaper to use and parts being easier to find parts for, as well as quieter.

Last edited:

I have not bought a engine yet . I would like to keep the mack 5 speed still on the engine I looked at but there is not enough room in my truck the mack transmission and clutch is to wide and to long. I want to try to use original rear mounts that are in the truck so I need to find a bell housing from a a1 and a fly wheel that will let the engine set close to the fire wall .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks