• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Multi power steering

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i would also like to see pics. i considered that box and it is much bigger than the 710 box i use. as far as moving it forward there is just no more room to do that.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you remember the year of the International truck and model ?
Thanks.
I do not but I will try to get some numbers off of the box. I did use everything except the pump from the donor truck and it cost $200 bucks. The column and mounting bracket, shortened the steering shaft, modified the steering wheel hub to accept smaller wheel, pitman arm, modified the drag link to work as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like that 4XDesign. A nice simple design. Hard to make out in the pic, but does it impede any injection pump access? (I don't think it would) I think I'd try reconfiguring the stock column to make it "feel" more MV. (Cutting the tube and repositioning the contact pad to make it shorter and adding a U joint end) What all modifications were needed to the pitman arm and drag link? It looks like it was "stock" height in that pic?

tcruwithme

I've done the 5-ton power steering mod that booger showed a picture of in post #16 of this thread. I had to shorten the steering shaft below the box a bit. I also took a 5-ton steering arm ball stud and had the threads machined down so it would mount in the same place the 2.5 ton steering arm ball stud mounted. That's so I didn't have to have the 5-ton linkage cut and welded. All the hydraulic fittings needed to be changed, as the position of the reservoir must have been different than in the 5-ton it came out of. I had to get new wheels so they would not rub on a full right turn. That was on my wish list anyway, but I had to get them ahead of plan for this project to work. I got modified HEMTT wheels, and they clear just fine with the 395 XZLs. The heater had to be relocated into the cab under the map compartment - like they have in an A3. The driver-side fender needed to be cut and trimmed a bit. The only thing I don't have back to normal is the horn. I can't seem to get that to work, but it's a low priority.

PS7.jpg PS6.jpg PS5.jpg PS4.jpg

PS3.jpg PS2.jpg PS1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks