• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton multifuel

lew

OK, I've decided to sell the deuce, and go with a 5 ton multifuel. My concerns are keeping a Vietnam - era truck and keeping a multifuel. GL often has 1970ish M813s available, but they have the Cummings motor.
Would these trucks have come with a multifuel motor originally? More importantly, will a Hercules motor fit back in with the existing trans (5 speed manual)?
I wouldn't be adverse to buying a rebuilt 5 ton multifuel and installing it, if it will fit.
Thanks for any help or ideas,
Lew

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been keeping an eye open for an M52/a1/a2 multi-fuel 5Ton Tractor for parts/powerplant commonality with our Deuce. Similar rationale to yours.

As I know it, you "could" revert an m809 serise truck to the early multifuel family, but it's going to be much easier to start with the correct foundtion.

:driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The multis had different sheet metal up front.......that being said you could put a multi in an 800 series truck without sheet metal mods....you just can't do the reverse. You would also have to switch the air cleaner to the other side and plumb it in to the multi.

The multi for the 5 ton was an LDS engine, more HP....putting a regular multi in a 5 ton will make it a worse dog than the original 5 ton multis.

I had an M54 and know from where I speak.....that truck could not pull a greasy string out of a fat cat's azz.

Good luck with that.:mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I know it, you "could" revert an m809 serise truck to the early multifuel family, but it's going to be much easier to start with the correct foundtion.

If you put a multi-fuel in a M809 series then you will have alot of extra real estate under the hood.

The Cummins engine is MUCH bigger than the multifuel. That is why they streached the front end on the new design.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
IN addition, the cummins motor trucks have an overdrive trans while the multifuel trucks had a 1:1 trans.

m816

If you lived a little closer, I would invite you to look over my M54a2. It is the LDS multifuel engine and it has an overdrive trans. (the same trans as in the 800 series trucks) It has just had an inframe rebuild of the engine and rear main seal. A new injector pump and new pyronometer. It is painted black w/a yellow nose. PM me if you want to know the price. Vinny

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Vinney, is the o/d trans stock in your truck or did you install it? I bought one for mine, but decided against putting it in.

M813A1

Also the M39 Series Multifueler has the starter on the opposite side then the Duece it is the same engine as the Duece with slighty more HP . Or the M54A1 had the Mack END Engine the M54 and M52's had the direct drive transmission but had the Overdrive trans installed later. But both 5 ton series trucks use the same running gear. The M809 series trucks have the longer nose to fit the larger Cummins NHC 250 engine and as Warthog said the air cleaner is on the left fender for the Cummins and the Multifuel truck the air cleaner is on the right side fender. Good Luck with finding your new truck

vtdeucedriver

Thanks to everyone for the info. I guess I will start looking for a M54a2.

thanks
Lew
Should not be to hard up your way. Someone had one FS up that way not long ago. Sad to say but some one probably bought it and bobbed it. Dont drag your feet!!!

vtdeucedriver

Also the M39 Series Multifueler has the starter on the opposite side then the Duece it is the same engine as the Duece with slighty more HP . Or the M54A1 had the Mack END Engine the M54 and M52's had the direct drive transmission but had the Overdrive trans installed later. But both 5 ton series trucks use the same running gear. The M809 series trucks have the longer nose to fit the larger Cummins NHC 250 engine and as Warthog said the air cleaner is on the left fender for the Cummins and the Multifuel truck the air cleaner is on the right side fender. Good Luck with finding your new truck

M52 & M54 Continental Gas engine R6602 Direct drive.
M52 & M54A1 Endt-673 Overdrive trans.
M52 & M54A2 Multifuel LDS-465 Direct drive trans.

I have never heard of a MWO to change the direct drive trans to OD for the multifuel. when it was done, it was a individual field mod only.

katz4

There is a guy in Norht Central Pa. that currently has 3 of the 5 ton cargo trucks for sale.....All with the Mack endt engines.

goldneagle

I've been keeping an eye open for an M52/a1/a2 multi-fuel 5Ton Tractor for parts/powerplant commonality with our Deuce. Similar rationale to yours.

I have a M52A2 multi-fuel truck available for quick sale. $2750 for it as-is. It runs but needs TLC. New batteries. Winch in front. Hard top! PM me if interested.

m816

Gimpy, The multifuels in five tons only had the standard five spped trans. The overdrive trans was added after the previous owner tried to keep up with another guntruck that was equiped with the over drive. He ended up blowing out his rear main seal and ruining the clutch. He had the trans installed. I have installed the overdrive trans from a 813 inot a M54. The swap was relatively easy Since I had to replace the clutch in that truck , we went ahead and did the pressure plate as well The problem starts when you get all stupid and say hey, lets do the rear main seal too.
You have to drop the pan and remove the cap bolts on the rear main to get to the seal. I forget if that was on the multifuel or the cummins right now, but the point is that if the seal is ok, don't mess with it. It only took a tanker bar, chain hoist, and soldier two and three. # three gets the beer. could have been done in one day but I only have a half day back. It lets you get up to 65+ mph. But after a few trips, I blew the engine.
When we rebuilt the engine, We added a pyronometer to the in side on the turbo. I now run at 2100 and am back at 50-54 mph. I think I did a lot of work for nothing. The truck runs great but that pyro has me scared to run up the revs. past 1200 degrees which translates to 2100 rpm
You only need a wrecker so you can hang the trans while you clean the junk out of it and want to get a bucket under it. Could a used a engine hoist but the back hook on the wrecker was more handy. somebody looked at some of our past pictures and made a coment about it. Figured I better defend my self.

m816

O D trans in multifuel

Vinney, is the o/d trans stock in your truck or did you install it? I bought one for mine, but decided against putting it in.
Gimpyrobb, I couldn't remember if I responded to your question. Sorry if I am repeating myself. The truck had the overdrive trans installed later. It was not original equipment. I made the switch on another truck since and it went very well. Just use the proper alingment shaft and it is a pretty straight forward swap.
I do it the old fahion way with a tanker bar through the front window and the other end on the back of the cab. I lock it all down with a "c" clamp so it can't shift . then hang a chain fall to lower the trans. Just remember to run the front wheels up on a couple "8"x"8" wood blocks so you can get the trans missions out from under the truck. The rest of the job is simple wrench turning.I would recomend adding a pyro along with the job. It makes the truck about 10+ mph. but the risk of running too hot too long could melt pistons. Keep an eye on number three cyliinder, that is the one that got overwashed and grenaded. I'm still not sure if the injector went bad first or later but it had weak pressure when we rebuilt them.

Last edited: