• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton p/s in a 2-1/2-ton truck

Adamlee

When I was jawing with John Winslow and Ollie Davis, the topic of power steering conversions and deuces came up.

Ollie or John had knowledge of people who had successfully swapped in 5-ton p/s with some fabrication. Has anybody on this board any experience or ideas on this subject? I know that the p/s box sits outside the frame rather than inside the frame, but other than that, I think the radiator needs to be modified or changed, amongst other tweaks.

I really like the notion of 5-ton steering swap versus the standard 2-1/2-ton p/s optional setup with the rams operating over the steering arms.

Thanks guys, for any tips on this subject!

Adam

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two systems in use on 5-tons. One is the original Ross Hydrapower box, riding high off the frame outside using a long drag link. Very strong, troublefree, but has a bit of lag in control of boost.

The later system is by Ross as well, but mounts low on the frame outside. It uses a long control shaft with U-joints, and is assisted by a remote ram on the passenger side between a special front spring mounting pin and a second pittman arm on the axle.

The latter would be easier to adapt to a duece in my opinion, but is costly. Either would need the installation of the hydraulic pump in front of the injection pump and an oil reservoir.

dg

Adamlee

5-ton p/s for deuce

To me, it sounds very do-able to modify a deuce for later-style 5-ton p/s with hydraulic pump. If one person has been successful with it, there must be more!

I'm going to email Ollie Davis and find out what the details are....

Nobody here's done such a thing?

I like how it is "true" p/s, and not the air-o-matic type. Sounds like it requires frequent adjustment. Just my 2 cents, from understanding how the air-o-matic works...

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 5-ton p/s for deuce

This is not an area to "cheap out". A duece is still a lot of truck to lose control of, and this would mean replacing a well-engineered reliable original system. The Air setup merely adds boost to that existing system.

If you are going ahead with a full hydraulic conversion, I'd vote for overkill in the size department. Spend the $$ or leave it alone.

dg

beetle

A while back I saw someone advertising the power steering kits for the deuce at less than $1,000.00. I have been looking for that ad for a couple of weeks now? Does anyone remember who had those kits. I need to ad this to my truck. Shoulders are wearing out . Thanks Beetle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks