• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Problems

USMC Devildog

I just bought my first 1970 5ton and i think i know the problem but im hoping you all can help me some more. I just got it today and on the way home i was driving great but when i got close to the house it acted like the power was cut in half could barley get out of 3 gear and then it stated to make a loud bang from the transfer case area about every 100ft. I think the sprag has gone out but i wanted to see what you all thought before i did anything
Thanks for the help
Semper Fi
And if anyone is in the middle tennessee area that really knows these things that could come drive to see for sure i would be ever greatful

jedawson1

I'm in Christiana/Murfreesboro, TN but I am only familiar with the 939 series and know nothing about the sprag other than no one on here likes them. Where did you get your truck? How far was your recovery? I hate to think the sprag engaged on pavement but will be reading some of the above threads to learn more. Good Luck.

USMC Devildog

USMC4302 Very nice truck what year i have the same truck dump bed and all do you have a winch on yours also, ya im sure it will all work out just takes time but having a blast at it so far.

USMC Devildog

Jed i got my truck in tullahoma from a friend so not to far and so far im liking it very much i have pulled the front driveshaft foe the time being until i can find a replacement sprag

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI I have my 1st 5 ton too,an 818 (was last used in my cal guard unit too) also worked on all types of trks from HMMWV'S to HEMTT'S at a cal guard FMS shop.
The noise sounds like transfer is on the way out,1 sign is the spedo drive will twist around and brake the cable this happend to 1 in my unit then later the transfer broke and had to go tow it in.

steve

Gunner0311

This is the downside to the All Wheel Drive set up that the sprag is the centerpiece of.

I am beginning to think the "part time" system of the M35 series is better in the long run. You shift the transfer case to power the front driveshaft when you need it, and
otherwise leave the front axle spin on its own. A lot less headache in the long run.

I have never had any problem with the sprag on my five ton, but posts like these do
make me realize that the sprag is a "weak link" in an otherwise strong driveline.2cents