• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton PTO leak?

Marines42

Hey guys, I recently bought a bobbed 5 ton. Honestly, I am not overly familiar with the 800 series trucks. I noted recently that there is a leak and it appears to be coming from what I think is the end of where the PTO winch would hook up if the truck was fitted with one. Its a very slow leak but I was curious if A: It's a common leak and B: Where the fluid I see is coming from. Does it share fluid from the primary transmission? I appreciate any help. Just trying to gauge what I should be looking out for ie: The transmission running dry. I included a photo of the area in question.

Attachments

fasttruck

Yes it shares its fluid (gear oil) with the transmission it is mated to. Is this thing engaged: i.e. turning when the engine is running and the clutch engaged ? Fluiid level is checked by removing the fill plug on the left side of the transmission with a 15/16 wrench and sticking your finger in when the oil is cool. Fold your finger over at the first knuckle and there should be oil on your finger. If not add.

crasheej

If you don't have a wench or not going to have one take the PTO off get,make palate to cover the hole and that will stop the leak. Or pull the PTO and repair it.

KsM715

If you dont have a winch and no plans to fit one, ( theres all kinds of extra pieces and parts so I know you dont want to go that route :mrgreen:) I have the PTO cover plate and will trade you for that PTO straight up, I'll even pay for all the shipping. Ok, Ok, I'll even put a crisp $100 bill in the box with the coverplate.

Edit: In all reallity, you can pull the pto off and try to fix the leak but the PTO needs to be shimmed just right for proper gear lash, you cant just pull it off and put rtv on and put the pto back on. You can however, pull the pto off, then pull the cover plate off the side of the pto and use some rtv on that cover plate and put it back on the trans without the pto. Just remember to drain the trans oil before you pull the pto or your going to have a mess to clean up.

Last edited:

Marines42

If you dont have a winch and no plans to fit one, ( theres all kinds of extra pieces and parts so I know you dont want to go that route :mrgreen:) I have the PTO cover plate and will trade you for that PTO straight up, I'll even pay for all the shipping. Ok, Ok, I'll even put a crisp $100 bill in the box with the coverplate.

Edit: In all reallity, you can pull the pto off and try to fix the leak but the PTO needs to be shimmed just right for proper gear lash, you cant just pull it off and put rtv on and put the pto back on. You can however, pull the pto off, then pull the cover plate off the side of the pto and use some rtv on that cover plate and put it back on the trans without the pto. Just remember to drain the trans oil before you pull the pto or your going to have a mess to clean up.

Sorry Jeff but a few guys already PM'd me about it but I haven't heard back from my last response to the first one yet so I will let you know if it ends up being on the market.