• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 TON Re-Power ?????

ODdave

GOT 2 TRUCKS FIRED UP AND DROVE THEM TODAY ! RAN GREAT. the rims are lug pilot which is correct for the 5-ton. Some tires have metric and others have standard sizing. When i get the other 2 running i will get them all out and check all the specifics you guys want.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man those motors sound like a goo deal may be interested. You looking to take a trade on one?

DH I paid $25 bucks for my used 22.5 steel rims somewhere down in GA a while back when I singled out one of my M54s. They run real well on the road and wear like iron. I have a source for used wheels but with new powdercoating for $60 ( if I remember right, I can call and double check ) If interested let me know and I can pick them up for ya and start getting them headed north.
What is the tallest tire that can be "correctly and safely run on the highway" on those kind of rims?

LEW6X6

FYI My counterparts with the WY forestry have done this and ended up cutting a hole in the hood for the turbo crossover tube. measure carefully. I personaly think a person could use an air to air radiator mounted in front the the engine radiator with a little creative plumbing

LEW6X6

Actually they had just added all the turbo system to the original 250. Works great, except the block is not set up for the piston cooling tubes and on a long hard pull they can score the buckets if they don't watch the pyro. Turbo is great, because it will make the truck snappy, but just beware of possible clearance problems

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those cab overs look like old Fords. I would think that they would have the two lugnuts style for the dual wheels.

ODdave

ok. i have 3 out of 4 running. (bad starter selenoid on #4) now my question is who is serious about wanting parts from these trucks? please shoot me a pm and let me know. I just want to know before i buy all of them and end up stuck with the stuff. all parts are up for grabs i.e. wheels & tires, engines, trans, axles. Let me know!

hairba11

what i do know is they are rated at 250hp @ 1800 rpm and are 855ci.
I thought these were the turbo 400hp engines?
did that change? or were the turbos later adaptations to the original 250 engine?
still looking at two of them if 400 hp, but please clear that up for me. Thanks.

any idea of mileage on the tractors?

ODdave

FOUND THIS LINK IF IT HELPS! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/9581-cummins-250-turbo.html

i do not know a ton about these engines. i know the cpl plate says 250hp. but they do have turbos. I belive these are known as "small cam" where the 400's are big cam. sorry i do not know more. i do not know the actual mileage, but being semi's im shure it is much more than you would see in a military vehicle (rear axles are 3.70 as opposed to 6.40). please if someone knows more, inform all of us. I am paying 4k for all 4 trucks and was hoping to part them out and make a lil $ for more work on my m35's but if this dosnt make any its not nearly worth the hassle.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Turbo charged 250s were usually called cummins 290s international used a lot of them but you didnt see many of them in the CL series ford trucks unless they were specd out as fleet trucks.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought these were the turbo 400hp engines?
did that change? or were the turbos later adaptations to the original 250 engine?
still looking at two of them if 400 hp, but please clear that up for me. Thanks.

any idea of mileage on the tractors?
Thought they were 400 to that is why I asked about motor mounts.

Irv

Or, someone thought it would be ok to turbo a 250 when it's really not advisable, according to Cummins Northwest. No piston coolers on a 250. It will probably work fine, all the way up to about half way up that big hill.

nhdiesel

See if you can find any data plates on the engines themselves. The paint on those trucks look like they could have been fleet trucks. If so, its not uncommon for fleets to be repowered to update the trucks. Only engine data plates will tell for sure.

Jim

ODdave

here is the data plate specs, i would take a picure but it is to hard to read.

date - 2-80
conf. no. - d092266bx02
engine no. - 10905088
E.C.S. - AFC
family - 092a
CPL - 0354
ref. no. - e0hs-6007-alea
model no. - NTC-250
advertised hp. - 250 @ 1800 rpm
fuel rate @ adv. hp. - 144 mm 3/stroke
injection timing code - AX

nhdiesel

According to that CPL number, those are factory turbos, not a retrofit. That number comes up as a Cummins BCII Turbo. I can't find any real info on it though. But at least it should help that they aren't retrofitted turbos.

Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have the 290s in the locomotives here at work. Everytime I throttle up, The sound makes me think of my m818. Everytime I drive the m818, it makes me think of the locomotives! rofl

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks