• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton recovery ft Polk

turbinesurgun

I've bought a 923 at Ft Polk la and didn't realize it said the transmission was slipping. Do any of you guys have a tow bar I could beg borrow rent buy etc to get this thing home to south ms? 2nd question is what all is required to tow it as far as caging brakes/transfer case/transmission? Thanks in advance. I spent 10 years in army aviation but we didn't have trucks so I've never done this before

Gunzy

I would just pull the drive shaft from t-case to forward rear axle and supply air to the truck from the tow vehicle then you will have brakes on the towed truck. Check all diffs for fluid level and then stop every so often to check for excessive heat at wheel bearings and brakes of towed truck. Oh, and get or make a set of tow lights for a long tow.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was planning on towing with my 1 ton. I have towed heavier just never with a tow bar. Was planning on caging brakes.
I wouldn't do that. That truck weighs 20K or more and will push you into the ditch or worst. Find someone that can help you with a big enough tow vehicle or go get it with a trailer.

Gunzy

DO NOT TOW WITH 1 TON TRUCK!!!!! Find someone with another M923/5, M934, M936 to tow it with. Safety first always. You need a rig that can handle the weight and supply air to towed vehicle brakes. None of this is worth dieing for or killing some one.

sweetk30

i will keep a eye out in the local paper obits for you .

as said DO NOT use your 1ton this way . that 5ton dosnt weigh 5 tons . . . . it will push you around like rag doll.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was planning on towing with my 1 ton. I have towed heavier just never with a tow bar. Was planning on caging brakes.

You're out of your mind.

No, seriously. Don't even consider it. Towing an unbraked 22,000lb vehicle with a 7500lb vehicle will end badly.

None of that weight will transfer to the towed vehicle. You'll have the same amount of traction that you do empty, but a whole lot more momentum. You'll be able to pull it fine, but stopping just won't happen. In a straight line at 45mph your stopping distance on flat dry pavement will be over 600 feet. Normally your stopping distance is about 130ft from 60mph.

If you're the least bit turned and hit the brakes the 5ton will break your rear wheels loose and push you sideways.

If you have to move this with your 1ton, borrow a gooseneck trailer and get the 5ton up on that. That would be no problem - the load will have brakes.

I can't emphasize this enough. I'm nuts, and I frequently do things that are questionable and I wouldn't consider this.

I've got a 1ton dually Ram, manual transmission and exhaust brake. I've hooked up a 5ton on towbars to it just to see what it would take. The only time I would consider pulling a 5ton with my 1ton would be first gear in low 4 at about 3 mph if my 5ton was broken down somewhere dangerous for it to be.

I'm not one of these guys who always comes on here and advocates that everyone spend gobs of $$ having their trucks hauled , but you need a better plan than a 1ton pickup.

Talk to Jeepsinker. He's local to ft polk and has the proper equipment. If he isn't up to it he may know someone who is.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G is right!!!!
I had a m925 push my M923A1 around when I was towing it on the way home after the transmission died on it.
I was on a dirt road and not using the brakes on the M925, I only had to go about 3 miles.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another possible option is to hire Jeff CSMDavis to recover and tow for you. He is in your neck of the woods in Hattiesburgh and has the equipment & experience needed.

Just sayin in case you need plan C........

red

A gooseneck trailer rated to handle that weight would be another 6-8k pounds, placing your total weight right around 30k pounds. Way over your 1 ton truck rating, even with the trailer brakes.

Call Jeep Sinker, he can help you out.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A gooseneck trailer rated to handle that weight would be another 6-8k pounds, placing your total weight right around 30k pounds. Way over your 1 ton truck rating, even with the trailer brakes.
t.

Yes absolutely. Illegal and marginally unsafe. No argument. But likely he'd live to tell about it.

But not dangerous to the point of fantasy like towing it unbraked. This variant is highly likely to end badly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks