• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton recovery list, help!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A buddy and I just went over to the dark side and won low mile low hour M818 tractors at Jeffcity. We both own duces and various other MV's. They both started and seemed ok during inspection but now we bringing them home when the Euc's clears via a 4 hour road trip.I looked in search and found,
RE: Inspection/Start List for Picking up a "New" 5
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...opic&t=143

This now appears to be a dead sticky as it does not open as all I get is a page not found message. Can one of my new 5T brothers point me to another list or come up with one? Is 15w40 rotella a go for the 250 cummings and what type of power steering juice? Thank you all in advance.

ADD on >>>Also my buddy and I tested GL's system, we got side by side trucks on 4469. We both had EUC's clear last fall. Friday 7/10 from his house we sent our EUC's in at the same time. Mine by fax his by email. His status changed this AM 7/14 as sent to Battle Creek, alas mine is still in pending limbo as of this evening!

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy1234

If they're like the (5) M818's that I've bought in the past month, you won't need anything.

All of mine either started right up, or started right up with a jump (Mike , the GL rep, has a set of slave cables that you can use).

I brought 5 gallons of 15w-40 Rotella, 2 gallons of anti-freeze, 2 gallons of gear oil, 5 gallons of water, 1 gallon of DOT 5 brake fluid, an air guage, an air compressor, hoses, tools, a big jack, a hat and sunscreen on my first trip (Don't forget a pair of Ear Plugs!!!!).

All I used was the sunscreen, ear plugs and the air guage.

I did a walk around when I first got there, checking for obvious damage (loose or broken stuff). Then, I opened the side panels and the hood and checked all the fluids. After that, I started them up, and let the air pressure build up.

After they had warmed up, I took an initial slow lap around the yard to test the brakes and the steering. I then stopped it, did one more walk around, thanked Mike for his help and his patience, and took off.

Get out of Jeff City, and find a truck stop. Stop, fill your fuel tanks, do another walk around, and head for home!

Good Luck!

Andy

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Andy thank you for the info. Mike is the BEST Gl person I have delt with! Your list Looks like the same stuff we took to go get our M109's with muffs added. We are planning to come back on 50 Hwy. Just waiting for the euc's to clear.
Jim

Attachments

Andy1234

Jim,

Skip Hwy 50, take 70 instead.

The trucks are much easier to drive in a straight line, and if you do break down, access to services and help is MUCH more available along 70.

Andy

blackwater1

I picked up an 818 from there about a month ago --- no issues - i took an air hose to air the tires if needed [ Mike used mine to air his tires ] The batteries were bad so I jumped it -- hooked up my 1980 CJ7 to the pintle hook and drove to a Walmart and bought 2 of the 1000 cranking amp batteries -- they work great on both 5 tons and Deuces -- head to farm in NE Iowa 450 miles = no issues

Besides the air hose I would take a Jack and Lug Wrench --- I looked at most of the 818 there and almost all had no Jack or Lug Wrench:wink:

Andy1234

Here's some pics from a few weeks ago, alongside Hwy 70, at a rest stop in Wright City, MO.

Time from Jeff City to House Springs (approx 165 miles), via Hwy 54 to I-70, I-70 to Hwy 40, Hwy 40 to I-270, and I-270 to Hwy 30, was approx 4 hours. Going via Hwy 50 would have been approx the same mileage, but would have added at least an hour, if not more, as well as increased the likelyhood of getting into an accident with some wacked-out driver on a twisty, 2-lane, undivided highway.

Again, I recommend I-70.

One of the trucks started at the lot w/ no problems, the other needed a jump. I didn't shut it off the entire trip home, and now it starts fine!

Good Luck!

Andy

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks for the I-70 routing, I guess it does make more sense. What does the M818 cruse at on the Hwy? We also added the tow bar in case there is a problem. Guys thanks again for the help.:-D

Andy1234

You can top out at 55-56 mph (downhill :razz:), but I was much more comfortable at 46-48 mph (approx 1950-2000 rpm). I also got decent mileage, approx 10 mpg.

A tow bar is a great idea, I'd love to have one!

Andy

dk8019

I'm off to recover mine at Drexel tomorrow morning. I think I've got everything needed loaded in the SUV. Would take the M109, but the only guy I could find to drive the trip with me probably shouldn't be trusted in something so large! :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks