• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton reliability

buckshot

I have the chance to purchase a m818 5-ton 6-6. I am currently working on a deuce. I want to run 16-20 tires. the 5 ton has the 250 horse cummins and the deuce has the 180 horse multi feul. i have no experience with either.which is more reliable?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are both reliable vehicles if you take care of them.

The 5-ton will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank and you are pretty much limited to straight diesel fuel unless you want to try mixing Used Motor Oil or Waste Veggie Oil in it.

Just about everything on the 5-ton is heavier and more expensive to repair/replace.

I have owned both (M816 Wrecker and M-54 Multi-fuel Tractor) and find the deuce more practical to own and operate.

Your milage may vary.

KsM715

If your dead set on 16's you need a 5ton. Or a ton of money and fabrication skills to get them on a 6x6 deuce.

I'll trade you my stock deuce motor for that 180hp one you got.

Kalashnikov

I have the chance to purchase a m818 5-ton 6-6. I am currently working on a deuce. I want to run 16-20 tires. the 5 ton has the 250 horse cummins and the deuce has the 180 horse multi feul. i have no experience with either.which is more reliable?
After having a 5 ton and a deuce, I'd have the 5 ton if I could only have one. It's got decent power vs the deuce's uber slowness and you can fit the 16-20s stock. Expect to become uber slow again though from what I'm hearing witht eh 16s. Plus the 5 ton has power steering.

They are both reliable vehicles if you take care of them.

The 5-ton will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank and you are pretty much limited to straight diesel fuel unless you want to try mixing Used Motor Oil or Waste Veggie Oil in it.

Just about everything on the 5-ton is heavier and more expensive to repair/replace.

I have owned both (M816 Wrecker and M-54 Multi-fuel Tractor) and find the deuce more practical to own and operate.

Your milage may vary.
WMO runs great in my NHC 250 and that's on 100%.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way you go, you are going to really sap the power out of either motor with those 1600s. Guys may like the additional speed they provide on the highway, the improved performance off road, or just the looks, but they will absolutely kill your power. Given that you reside in OK, hills should not be much of an issue so you should be OK from that standpoint.

jimmcld

I like the 5 tons myself. I have the 1600's on mine and I really can't tell the difference in power. I know it makes a lot of difference on the deuce when you go to bigger tires, but I'm hauling 36,000 lbs with my 816 and I didn't notice a difference in the power.

jasonjc

I've got both M35A2 and M818. If I just want to go on a joy ride I take the deuce. It's faster and cheper on fuel. But I still like to take the 5 ton now and then too.:roll: Uh I didn't help much did I. I have drive both on long hauls 200-500 miles and both bought me home just fine.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just depends how you treat the truck, how many times have you seen a BRAND NEW pu trashed in a month or so

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks