• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Rims

FordTruckGuy96

Hello, I recently picked up a set of 5 ton axles to put underneath my 47 Ford Heavy Duty. The problem is I don't have any rims for these axles. I found a guy who will sell me a set of rims and tires. He has an option for either aluminum or steel rims. I have never heard of aluminum rims for these trucks, I would have figured with the weights these trucks deal with that the rims would have to be steel. He says the aluminum rims are 20". Would they be worth getting since the truck when I'm done will be a trail/tow rig and won't really be getting abused. Or should I ask him for a set of steel rims to just be on the safe side. Any help is appreciated. Below are pictures of the axles I have.
5 ton Rockwell rear.jpg5 ton Rockwell steer.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The only aluminum wheels that will fit the 5 tons are off a caiman if you want singles. And off a maxxpro plus if you want duals. I think there is one other aluminum type but a majority of the mrap types do not fit. Steel wheels are fine we all run them for the most part. The aluminum ones will hold up fine as well. Red has a set on his wrecker.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

FordTruckGuy96

Okay, if they are caiman rims, will they be able to fit 395/85/20 tires on them, cause that is eventually what will be going on the truck down the road. Or will only the rims that will fit those size tires off a dually truck? Also are all military rims for these size trucks beadlocked or are there non-beadlocked rims as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Okay, if they are caiman rims, will they be able to fit 395/85/20 tires on them, cause that is eventually what will be going on the truck down the road. Or will only the rims that will fit those size tires off a dually truck? Also are all military rims for these size trucks beadlocked or are there non-beadlocked rims as well.
You have the old split ring style with tubes. That can run duals. The caiman wheels can run 395s. You need a certain lugnut type though.

You can remove the beadlock but you can buy 395 michelin xzl tires on lmtv steel wheels. That are brand new with beadlock and runflats for $275ea.

The aluminum dually wheel is for 12.00s or dual 395s which is extreme

FordTruckGuy96

When you say a certain lugnut type, do you mean a bolt pattern or is there a special type of lug nut to hold the rims on. And where would I go to find the tires you mentioned above. Because I would like to have beadlocks and runflats if possible, and it would only be for a little more than what my guy is asking.

tobyS

Feltz tire in Marshfield, wi and in Texarkana Texas.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=33868

Lugs are on the last page.

Member TobyS has some 395s that are new down in north central Indy

Does Feltz have the 395 on the HEMTT rims? I know you can buy the combat rims from them (Marshfield), but are they selling the HEMTT rims that have the 11.25 BC?

Combats are relatively cheap (<$100), but if you can buy the HEMTT mounted at that price, go for it. I have that much just in the tire (delivered).

I wouldn't want the run-flats, unless you have a gorilla to handle them and like lots of un-sprung weight (which might work for your application). Beadlocks- yes they are about $25.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does Feltz have the 395 on the HEMTT rims? I know you can buy the combat rims from them (Marshfield), but are they selling the HEMTT rims that have the 11.25 BC?

Combats are relatively cheap (<$100), but if you can buy the HEMTT mounted at that price, go for it. I have that much just in the tire (delivered).

I wouldn't want the run-flats, unless you have a gorilla to handle them and like lots of un-sprung weight (which might work for your application). Beadlocks- yes they are about $25.
No. That was just to show him the lug nuts for the caiman wheels too. They both work with that type of lug well.

FordTruckGuy96

Thanks for all the input, tobyS I sent you a message. As for the unsprung weight, I'm not to terribly worried about it as its not going to effect the overall weight rating, because the State police told me that since there isn't a weight load associated with my truck being that its 70 years old they would check for over weight based on the tires. I've just been told my flathead won't be able to turn the wheels, even though the truck currently has 8.80 gears and would be dropping down to 6.44. I attached a picture of the truck the axles are going under. And I will have to look at getting the right style of lug nuts for the type of rims I am able to get.
IMG_2751.jpg

tobyS

Myself, I like the HEMTT rims but the normal rim for your axles is the combat rim. Given the project truck you posted, the weight of the run-flat will make a difference. Hope that is a V-8 flat-head.

Question....why didn't you get deuce axles?

FordTruckGuy96

Because I paid 500 bucks for the pair of axles, which is a steal around me as they normally go for 1500 or more. And yes it is a flathead v8 8BA 239, currently being torn apart to make into a 304 stroker.

tobyS

Because I paid 500 bucks for the pair of axles, which is a steal around me as they normally go for 1500 or more. And yes it is a flathead v8 8BA 239, currently being torn apart to make into a 304 stroker.
Cool....yea, a good price, they just seem a bit heavy. Good luck.

FordTruckGuy96

Actually the current rear axle actually weighs more than the 5 ton rear axle, the big weight difference is going to come from the tires, front axle, flatbed, and transfer case. I am going to use a tcase out of a 2.5 ton truck because of the weight of the 5 ton tcase. And I'm going with military components because there are tons out there and its getting harder and harder to find tires that are 8.25x20, and someone to mount the split rims

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I've just been told my flathead won't be able to turn the wheels, even though the truck currently has 8.80 gears and would be dropping down to 6.44...
Looks like a cool project!

I may be misreading this, but... you understand that 8.80 is a lower/slower/more power, gear than 6.44 don't you?

FordTruckGuy96

Yes I do, the truck has 8.80 low range and 6.40 high range gearing in the 2 speed rear end. The 2 speed is broken so its stuck in high range, but unless I really load the truck down I won't really need to use the low range. Plus the flathead will be going from 85 horse to 100 horse plus whatever stroking it gives me, so it won't be as gutless. By the time I actually finish this project I will probably have switched engines 3 or 4 times. Even now I'm toying with finding an 8v92 or a 12v71 to put in this truck. Money is stopping me currently. I'm on a college budget.

tobyS

Actually, there are Aluminum HEMTT wheels that will work.
E-bay
Wheel....as in 1.

One only, this is an experimental aluminum version of the HEMTT wheel (not an MRAP or Caiman wheel!).

Standard 10-lug pattern, what you see is what you get

Last edited by a moderator: