• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Rolling Resistance

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like I may be getting a second M543A2 wrecker. It does not run but will roll on pretty good tires. Anyone have any idea how much rolling resistance there would be to pull the wrecker off a low boy trailer??? I have a portable 7500 lb rated electric winch along with a good single block so an ineffective 15000 lbs. or so in pulling power. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
James G.

PS: I have moved so my wrecker is not available for the job.

M1075

Shouldn't be much, especially if the tires are inflated good. If it is a front load lowboy, it will be going downhill anyways. The semi might have a humongus winch you can use. If not, get him to pull it off with a strap or chain. If it is a rear load lowboy, why not chain off to a tree and let him pull forward while the wrecker eases off the back?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of Them

The one on GSA and I have found another one over in Mississippi. Talking to the guy at GSA the one they have is in pretty poor shape with a frozen engine and cracked transmission, he thinks freeze damage in both cases! And sitting for ten years in the weather is tough on it. The one in MS won't start but it is in a barn and since I just want them for parts the MS truck would be the my preference but either will do!
Thanks for the ideas on getting it off the trailer, a roll on roll off would be my best choice on transport and unloading.
James G.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: One of Them

Please be careful if you decide to chain it to something and pull it off. If the brakes work at all, someone should be in the cab to slow it down. If they don't then make sure you use a long chain to hook it to a tree or whatever heavy object you choose and get out of the way. I used my Dad's M756A2 as an anchor to pull a 561 Gama Goat off of a trailer. Even though that sucker hadn't rolled in 10+ years, it hauled butt off of that trailer, rolled across the parking lot and ran into the 756A2 with a bang!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: One of Them

Indeed be carefull. Getting stopped is a lot bigger challenge than making it roll. I saw a tri-axle Kenworth wrecker clear the ground with one side while stopping my polesetter deuce from rolling off a trailer. (me and the operator both thought it was gonna turn over - and since this was a friend doing this as a favor, not for hire - going through my mind was "how am I going to pay for this!!!) And a M543 is a lot heavier than any deuce.

You've moved - so where are you now?

DD

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russellville, AR

Family is still in Springdale, AR, I had a company make me an offer I couldn't refuse, so short retirement! I am commuting on the weekends from Russellville AR. 123 miles one way to Springdale. It has given me a chance to buy a cabin with five acres of hill top, just right to house my growing collection of green machines and a big shop and give the wife the garage back! Now I just need to move eight trucks and 14 trailers!
James G.

madsam

RE: Russellville, AR

I bought a m816 from GL in MS. It looks like it had not been started for 10 years. It has been a little harder to get running that I had hoped, but still runs. (Thanks timntrucks) Some of the hoses and other stuff have been cracked, but all fixable. If you do part out, would you be interested in selling some parts?

jasonjc

RE: Russellville, AR

I was woundering what happen to you. I haven't herd from you or seen you on here in a long time.

madsam

I have been on. Just waiting for my truck. timntruck is getting it running for me now. (He is cheaper and faster than the first shop.) He just got the engine running this week. It will still need a lot of work when I get it home, so you will probably see a lot of questions then. :lol:

madsam

I do have a question. What is the difference between an M543 and an m816? They look almost the same except for the breather.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816 is NHC250 powered and the M543 is gas powered. Of course if you see an aircleaner on the fender of the M543, it's probably and M543A1 (ENDT673 power) or the M543A2 (Multifuel power)

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Who Got it

So who got the 543 in KY????? I gave up at watching at $1200, why would someone pay $3000plus for a 40 plus year old wrecker with a cracked transmission and frozen engine that had been sitting out in the woods of Ky for the last 10 years especially when the GSA guy tells anyone who calls it's a rust bucket!!!!! I just wanted it for replacement drive train parts for my 543A2, but then maybe he wanted it for the same reason, if I had to replace a tcase for this monster 3 grand for parts may have been a good deal, just too rich for me.
I hate internet sale too much money and too little common sense!
Jason sorry I missed the outing, new job, been hold up in a Marriot for the last two months, its about to kill me, no way to tinker on things, except at work, then the maint. guys thinks I am crazy, they never had an HR guy help in their field!
James