• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton saving a D5 Caterpillar

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GET FM-20-22 or the updated FM "vehicle recovery operations"

You need snatch blockS, correct chains, straps, shackles, maybe a length of cable with eyes, the list can go on and on, depends just how much you want to haul , remember it is better to have more gear and NOT need it then be short 1 peice that holds up every thing

Last edited:

treessw

Well done sir, WELL DONE :beer: As a side note, not trying to go on a rabbit trail here, but I am, recovery operations are a art form to some degree. When done properly, they are safe and calculated. Some other things that can be done to increase safety is to weight the winch cables. If your cables snap they can hurt or kill someone. You can change out steel cable with amsteel line or refer to pictures I will attach. Good job on your recovery!!!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
nice pull! and I agree with the way you did the anchor lines and a straight pull is not going to hurt the frame. alot more is going to be broke before the frame even notices there is something pulling on it.

saddamsnightmare

January 21st, 2012.

Gents:

The field manual mentioned above is the military bible, but if you can't interpret drawings, the "Scotch Anchor" uses a chain, a log, the front lifting eyes and the trucks weight to creat a "super chock" under the front of the truck. If you figure you're using the engine and axle's weight to hold the truck in place, and if that log's big enough, you're probably not going anywhere. Snatch blocks compounded off of two trees would be even better, because the pulling strain's on the tree and only slightly on the winch. The Army's been sticking and pulling out equipment since George Washington was commander in chief....:D

lacoda56

Saddamsnightmare,

Not sure where you're going with this, but a scotch anchor is a log and chain or chains placed in a shallow trench. FM20-22 states the scotch anchor is to be used "when natural anchors are not available". Natural anchors are covered on page 78. The above winching operation was conducted acording to the book as far as I can see.

Ron

KsM715

I conceed that in a straight pull you would/should bust the shear pin before you do any damage. But can someone show me where in the manual does it show anchoring the winching truck to an immovable object? Ive read thru it several times and I do not see where it shows that. I see where natural anchors are used for self recovery but not when using one truck to winch out a stuck piece of equipment.

I didnt mean to start an argument. Just pointing out what I was trained to do and not to do.

KsM715

Page 78 "Use of Anchors".

Not arguing, Just saying what I've picked up over the years. Discussions like this quite often show me how little I've picked up!
Exactly why I like these type of threads. I dont mind being proven wrong. (as in this case) Thats often the best way to learn something. After sitting down and reading it again and thinking about what each paragraph is saying I now see where it talks about anchoring a winch truck with natural anchors. (but its not on page 78 of my copy FM 20-22 :razz:)

jd-ford-hd

The very next day......!!!!!!

The very next day my buddy called cussing/crying..! Stuck again..! aua He was working on a hill, leveling for a pole barn. Knocked down a few trees that could reach the barn in a wind storm. His customer wanted them pushed down in a nearby "holler". The mouth of this hollow must have had a underground spring. He stayed 75 feet above the original sticking but still went straight down. This one was a little easier, but rigged exactly as the day before. Not as many pics cuz we knew "they wuz a sow coon a'comin" (said in my best hillbilly redneck accent!)

Attachments

Kasper31

To all: I personally don't look at this discussion as an argument. It is a great way for everyone involved in this thread n site to learn from the postings. Great info.......:beer:

You can't wear it out looking at it,,,use it,,,if it breaks you found your limit.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By my reckoning, it's Caterpillar 0, M818 W/W 2. Way to go 5 tons...........

59apache

Chipmaker
interesting discusions about what and how to do or not:D

few weeks ago i've seen this video...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJZ_myt9ng&feature=related[/media]

small changes make big differences.....

everybody has own experiences - there is more than 1 truth

dmetalmiki

Wincing chocks

the "plates" used with that scammell are "Scotch anchors" issued to all British Army recovery scammells era 1939 - 1955. The length of the anchor chain is important for maximum "dead hold". I have kept a pair of those from my scammell constructor for my M62 wrecker truck and have an additional anchor mount on back. (underneath) to act as a futher deadman anchor for heavy winching.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking m818, great thread!

I have learned a lot and I thought I knew a little about winching. The scotch anchors, never have seen that done and could have used that a few times when pulling out stuck dozers.

Thanks all for contributing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks