• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton shear pins

M1075

I need shear pins for the front winches on M809 series 5 tons. Does anyone have any or have a good source? I have contacted several places and so far only Memphis has responded that they have them ($$$). I would buy a dozen or so if I can find a reasonable price.

sermis

I picked up about 50 yesterday and had set them down to get some other parts to include a 50' NATO cable. Walked out and forgot the sheer pins. All gone this morning.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 5 ton shear pins

jatonka said:
I have the 5 ton shear pins all the while. You can PM me for prices JT out
So John do you happen to know the alloy?
Thanks,
.....and what is the NSN for the pins you have?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't know about you guys, but I keep a dozen shear pins with me in the map compartment....gotta be prepared.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this for the 757 5-ton winch, same winch as other 5-tonners, but different pin.

5315-00-880-5861 Characteristics Data
MRC Criteria Characteristic
MATT MATERIAL COPPER ALLOY OVERALL
STYL STYLE DESIGNATOR F103 FULL LENGTH GROOVE
ABHP OVERALL LENGTH 1.500 INCHES NOMINAL
CQFX PIN SMALL END DIAMETER 0.185 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.187 INCHES MAXIMUM
CSCG PIN LARGE END DIAMETER 0.198 INCHES NOMINAL
AAGZ FIRST END STYLE 3 OVAL
CSKM FIRST END OUTER RADIUS ANY ACCEPTABLE
CQBB SECOND END RELATIONSHIP WITH FIRST END IDENTICAL
CRDY FIRST END LOCATION BOTH ENDS
SR-5 MANUFACTURERS CODE 19207
SR-5 DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE 11602875

acetomatoco

Interesting how it is difficult to sell water even when the house is on fire. I have never sheared a pin in a deuce or 5 ton winch driveline... However I did once in a HalfTrack when I was pullng a wheeled dozer out of a peat bog...care and restraint and knowing the capabilities of your equipment will minimize the need for pockets full of shear pins. Get your winching and recovery TMs and read about multileg lines and use of snatch blocks....

jatonka

If I could find the exact correct parts at a price I could possibly justify for my WORK trucks I would not have had to start making parts. If one has to have the exact correct winch shear pin with NSN number attached, don't contact me. John Tennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I view shear pins like fuses. Rather have a box of them and not need them than need one and have none! Bjorn, I doubt that anyone is going to share the alloy of the deuce shear pin with us. I think I'm going to set out on a mission to determine that exact thing!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 5 ton shear pins

Recovry4x4 said:
I view shear pins like fuses. Rather have a box of them and not need them than need one and have none! Bjorn, I doubt that anyone is going to share the alloy of the deuce shear pin with us. I think I'm going to set out on a mission to determine that exact thing!
Thanks Kenny. it's good to have company.

jatonka said:
.......... If one has to have the exact correct winch shear pin with NSN number attached, don't contact me. John Tennis
What are the spec, John, or is it a safety device (=fuse) without a known rating?

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: 5 ton shear pins

Found a reference to the alloy for the 260 series 5-ton winch (5315-00-209-7979), it is the 2017, probably -T4 temper, which has a shear strength of 38,000 psi.
It's a start...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks