• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton t-case confusion

F18hornetM

Thanks Ron for the the time on the phone, great information and a mechanic to a mechanic explanation.. not just a "because it does" answer.
Guys who are willing to take the time to explain something to you, make this a very nice site.

again thanks to everyone who takes time to share info

beesonoffroad

Yep same problem here drove my XM813 from Texas to Alaska stop for fuel put it in to revers and it would bind and then go boom. Put a m35 air switch in the cab to disengage front axle long story short jacked up front drivers tire. Built up air turned truck off engaged air switch put in revers and discovered tire spins free backwards but not forward. so tried putting in 1st gear could turn tire forward freely but not backwards so i reversed lines at t-case and now if in 1st gear you will not move tire forward but will spin free in reverse so i think i fixed my problem but that means since i have had my truck it has never worked in 6x6. So not to brag about these trucks but i came to alaska during the blizzard in april 2013 and I80 was closed so i took HW70 hit every ice covered mountain there was and drove the ice roads here in alaska just to do it without 6x6.

zxmedic

Yep same problem here drove my XM813 from Texas to Alaska stop for fuel put it in to revers and it would bind and then go boom. Put a m35 air switch in the cab to disengage front axle long story short jacked up front drivers tire. Built up air turned truck off engaged air switch put in revers and discovered tire spins free backwards but not forward. so tried putting in 1st gear could turn tire forward freely but not backwards so i reversed lines at t-case and now if in 1st gear you will not move tire forward but will spin free in reverse so i think i fixed my problem but that means since i have had my truck it has never worked in 6x6. So not to brag about these trucks but i came to alaska during the blizzard in april 2013 and I80 was closed so i took HW70 hit every ice covered mountain there was and drove the ice roads here in alaska just to do it without 6x6.
Hey awesome can I ask what you spent on fuel

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................now if in 1st gear you will not move tire forward but will spin free in reverse so i think i fixed my problem .......
WRONG! Better leave it as it was...!

See TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1; Chapter 9, P. 45 (also other TM's) Although this is for a Deuce, the principle of operation is the same for all sprag-equipped T-Cases.

G.

beesonoffroad

See TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1; Chapter 9, P. 45 (also other TM's) Although this is for a Deuce, the principle of operation is the same for all sprag-equipped T-Cases.

G.
Well i will read the TM but like i said it was binding up and would pop. First time it did it i thought for sure it cracked the case. But 6x6 has never work forward or revers and the popper valves are working as they should. I am still in the army so i have alot more assets to get info from my motor pool buddy told me the t-case was rebuilt in 1991 and it my have been hooked up wrong lines look the same to a parts changer you know it is the army lol.aua IF IT MAKES SENSE YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EVER DO IT THAT WAY!!!

beesonoffroad

Hey awesome can I ask what you spent on fuel

It was 2,000.00 in fuel i put 16.00x20 on her with a bed from A35a2 loaded with all my house hold goods that was 10,000 pounds towing a 16' trailer with a CJ-8 on it. up mountains i was averaging 7.86 to 8 mpg flat ground it will average 12 mpg i drive my truck everyday it is cheaper to maintain then my old 2006 dodge diesel replace a set of injectors and you will see what i mean.

dmetalmiki

Bad guess

holey moley! If your transmission is working correctly now it's a wonder. I would think the sprags are history by now. Two guesses, two ways. Sorry wrong guess . wrong way.
Follow the advice above. FIRST read T.M.9-2320-211-35 Page 157. and related pages.

simply think of a push bike with you pedling at a constant rate on the flat ok. going down hill. it freewheels. you pedel at the same constant rate have "no drive" Now picture it going up hill. bike slows till you catch up the drive speed at your constant rate, Chain pedel and You drive it upward..

beesonoffroad

holey moley! If your transmission is working correctly now it's a wonder. I would think the sprags are history by now. Two guesses, two ways. Sorry wrong guess . wrong way.
Follow the advice above. FIRST read T.M.9-2320-211-35 Page 157. and related pages.

simply think of a push bike with you pedling at a constant rate on the flat ok. going down hill. it freewheels. you pedel at the same constant rate have "no drive" Now picture it going up hill. bike slows till you catch up the drive speed at your constant rate, Chain pedel and You drive it upward..

so if it was right the first time way would 6x6 not work forward or revers and what was the binding and popping all about? have no broking gears on sprag with fill plug removed looking in case with mirror i hear it engage now where as before i did not.

dmetalmiki

Ok pulled drive shaft off primer axle to t-case to check front drive. it work in reverse but nothing going forward so got to find a 7417951 clutch assem i guess.
OK. Well I am sorry you seem to have (seemingly) found out the hard way. But to help you out now I will outline the SIMPLE way to check and verify your transmission ( and similar types) the EASY straight forwrd way.
AFTER you have recified (repaired) the broken damaged or faulty componants. DO NOT drive the vehicle.
REMOVE the sprag solonoid operating air lines.
NO AIR NO DRVE> (freewhweels both ways (one front wheel jacked clear of the floor))
RELACE the operating lines.
Charge the air system.
Place gearbox in FIRST gear. (hear that satisying hiss clunk?)
TRY to rotate the jacked up front wheel BACKARDS. WONT GO (comes up against sprags?) = OK>
Place the gearbox in reverse. (hear the satisfying clunk again?)
TRY to rotate the jacked up wheel FORARDS. WONT GO (comes up against sprags?) = OK>
No clunks or consatnt hissing solonoid defective.

IF the sprags DO NOT OPERATE in this manner. REVERSE (change over) the solonoid air operating lines.

GO THROUGH the checking procedures again.
ALL ok? Test drive.
I hope this helps you and you get your truck operating as you would wish. Good luck. let us know how it turns out, and comment on any damage or faults found.

Last edited:

beesonoffroad

Well thank you kind sir lol i read the TM and studied alot of drawings and plains on over run gears. I see how they work i made sure it operate's as you suggested thank you for the info. I thought the t-case would be direct drive boy was i wrong i got a m35a2 air cut off switch for t-case. Put it in the cab bypassed popper valve air feed to switch and from switch back to popper valve so now i am in control of the front drive wish i would have done this for my trip might have got 1 or 2 mpg on my trip. So no one know where to get new sprag clutches!

tashaak

Can you tell the procedure to lock the front drive in on a 5 ton. All I hear is air hissing that sounds like it is coming out of the stack where it is vented. It use to work but stopped,what could cause it to stop working, help please I need the 6 wheel drive badly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks