• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton time! Apparent Fuel Starvation Problem.

HN6

I scored a 5ton with about 600 miles on it. An older gentleman that stores his boat at my place said I could have it for trade out. I am excited. He got it new drove it on construction project for a few months drove it to the lot. Next day went to start it and it didn't start. No fuel delivery he says. Been sitting for 5 or so years now. It is about a 4 hr drive for me to go and get and get working. I am thinking it will be fairly simple. Any, ideas... No. I have not searched anything thing yet. Thats next but I am going to detour from Turkey day and try to grab it since I will only be about 45 minutes from it.

I was going to start with fuel pump and move from there. It has an 8.3 in it.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Most common things on an 8.3 include fuel lines sucking air (but not dripping fuel), fuel primer pump o rings failed, fuel filter in fender well sucking air, fuel pickup tubes in tank cracked and sucking air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HN6

Most common things on an 8.3 include fuel lines sucking air (but not dripping fuel), fuel primer pump o rings failed, fuel filter in fender well sucking air, fuel pickup tubes in tank cracked and sucking air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick leads. Much appreciated and helped me on my search. I found some good posts on common fuel issues. I now have a good idea of what I am trouble shooting. Now to do it all in the 10 degree weather and light snow. I prefer a heated warm shop for problem solving... See what happens.

HN6

I did not drive it home. Fuel solenoid already off, batteries completely dead (figured so). I could not justify digging into this and the other bonus goodies for 3 hours. I am going back with tools! 1 5 ton turned into inheriting another parts 5 ton, 5th wheel and cargo bed with troop seats. Both trucks have winches on front and the spare truck has no motor but i can salvage the steering box for my deuce and the spare tire rack for the deuce as well. Lots of options and dreams once again. Also a couple small military tiny tugs... looks like a generator trailer and a 10ton truck! I have absolutely mo use for the 10 ton, but man it is so easy to be a hoarder of cool machines.... Also a spare transmission for the 10 ton if anyone needs one.

982 miles on the good 5 ton.

Also a bonus winch for the deuce. I am calling it all great luck but the wife has said I have serious issues for sure now.

Attachments

HN6

Got it almost home today. My friend who volunteered his truck and trailer (8 hrs round trip) to retrieve the truck.. his trailer now has blown hydraulic hose so we will unload tomorrow or Monday after that fix happens. I think this favor put me back in the red for the favor tally. In the end we used an excavator to break the truck free from ice and lift half at a time onto the trailer. Got the fuel primed today and letting batteries charge over night.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said one truck and parts. Are you not bringing the parts truck home? How about the bed? Congrats on getting it running.

Reactions: HN6

HN6

You said one truck and parts. Are you not bringing the parts truck home? How about the bed? Congrats on getting it running.
I will get the parts truck and the bed in the spring when everything is thawed out. I took the power steering box and accessories off the pats truck to put on my m35. I got what I can for now.

925a2Tim

im having a similar issue with my 8.3. It was running then just slowed down and stopped. It will run on starting fluid so it is a fuel issue. I've changed the lift pump, fuel filters, I had an extra injection pump so I changed it to. I got a piece of fuel line and bypassed all the lines from the tank. I have fuel at the injection pump but nothing comes out of the injector lines when i try to bleed the system. What am I missing or doing wrong? i will hook up an electric pump monday when my son brings one home from work.

HN6

im having a similar issue with my 8.3. It was running then just slowed down and stopped. It will run on starting fluid so it is a fuel issue. I've changed the lift pump, fuel filters, I had an extra injection pump so I changed it to. I got a piece of fuel line and bypassed all the lines from the tank. I have fuel at the injection pump but nothing comes out of the injector lines when i try to bleed the system. What am I missing or doing wrong? i will hook up an electric pump monday when my son brings one home from work.
If you are not getting fuel out of the injector lines at injector then must be a clog... I just used a 12 volt 3-5 psi pump. (obviously i used a battery on its own) It will push fuel through the system and make any holes very apparent. Did you bleed the injector pump vent on back of pump?

So you have fuel at the pump but not at injectors... see what happens when you get the pump .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks