• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton towing a 55 ton tank

davesgmc

VERY GOOD INFORMATION! So you think it will still be able to be pulled with a tow bar? getting in nay hatch is going to be a bit of work as they are ALL welded shut. might get lucky and the welds on the drive sprockets are the only thing holding it from rolling.
The whole idea is still just an idea, but i dont want to commit to trying to move it with the 5 ton if it is not possible. I can alsways lift the thing, put it on a low biy and trailer it, but all that takes time and money away from other things, tow baring it witha truck would be the easiest way. maybe 2 trucks linked togehter in the ront,,,and maybe even another in the rear,,,that might be over kill, but shure would look cool inching its way down the road!

fasttruck

Did this with a 818ww, m60 with pack out on hard pavement in a straight line. Worked but works better with a hemett or a m 911. Stop ? No problem. Just take your foot out of it.

davesgmc

i wasnt too worried about stoipping, the streets will be well cleared, plenty of people making sure nothing is in the way, wont have to stop at all during the trip. will move it about 8 miles from what i fugure. and at about 2 mph,,,gonna take a whle to get there,,,,,,lol

and trust me, if it DOES happen every inch of the move will be recorded!

waayfast

HHHMMM, the last cletrac M2 medium high speed tractor I got home was a parts tractor and had no tracks---we just rolled it on the road wheels (bogies some would call them). If you could cut the tack welds loose and just remove the tracks altogether it would roll easy REAL EASY!!Definately NO brakes and NO steering other than enough machinary tied to both ends to "break it to lead" and keep the monster corralled!Video tape heck!!! You could sell tickets to THAT rodeo! "Are ya feelin' lucky!?? Real Lucky!!??-----Oh I would suggest using a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the welded hatches open--takes a lot more time but you have more "control" less chance for heat damage (warp) and dont have molten slag slobbering into the old girl like you will using the standard smoke wrench.

reddogkaiser

The m48a2c or the m60 which both use the same engine and transmission do not work as indicated ---- there is no individual braking if the engine and transmission are not operating. the only brake is a manual (one) pedal on the floor (manual -- not hydraulic or air) it works though rods to the transmission and only applies braking to both sides at the same time. the tanks turn with the engine and transmission operating by turning a go-cart type steering wheel which tells the transmission to slow one track. you can piviot (but not good for the track) by putting the tranmission in netural and turnig the steering wheel in one direction -- making one track go foward and the other in reverse ( called netural steer). there are no individial levers ect to stop or slow one track like a bulldozer might have. and the only way to tow the tank (more than a few feet) is to disconnect the final drive collars --WHICH DISCONECT THE TRANS MISSSION-- so when towing the tank since the manual brake works before the final drive there is no brakes at all on the towed tank.

General info --m48a2c and the m60 are power by an aircolled v-12 continental
engine and a alisson chambers (a/c) 2 speed automatic trans mission thought a geared final drive and sprocket on each side-------cant spell worth a crap but i know these tanks lol--------but i now fly helicopters

I don't remember the engine being disconnected, but there was a manual hydraulic pump that allowed the brakes to work rather poorly, the motor was still in the tank and was pulled a month or so later by the Reno NG crew since it only had like 10 hours on the hour meter, what a job that was, they used an (if I remember right) m818 wrecker and an HEMTT with a knuckle boom to pull it! barely! that was a cool day! If I can find the key to the padlock I will take a picture of the steering and the manual lever to pump up the hydraulics, I'd show you a picture of the main firing control but somebody liberated it!:roll:

blackwater1

Dave

You will need the heavy tow bar on the tank ---- I think the 5 ton may move it but I dont think it will turn or stop it if going down hill.

How about the possibility that the tank may move under its own power??:-D

Just maybe if the pack is still in it you may get it to run:razz:

I can help with info on how to do it -- what do you think?

blackwater1

I don't remember the engine being disconnected, but there was a manual hydraulic pump that allowed the brakes to work rather poorly, the motor was still in the tank and was pulled a month or so later by the Reno NG crew since it only had like 10 hours on the hour meter, what a job that was, they used an (if I remember right) m818 wrecker and an HEMTT with a knuckle boom to pull it! barely! that was a cool day! If I can find the key to the padlock I will take a picture of the steering and the manual lever to pump up the hydraulics, I'd show you a picture of the main firing control but somebody liberated it!:roll:

The brakes are mechanical so no hydraulic pump for the brakes---- there may be a pump for the touret and main gun which use hydrualics

reddogkaiser

Dave

You will need the heavy tow bar on the tank ---- I think the 5 ton may move it but I dont think it will turn or stop it if going down hill.

How about the possibility that the tank may move under its own power??:-D

Just maybe if the pack is still in it you may get it to run:razz:

I can help with info on how to do it -- what do you think?

When the NG mechanics showed up, they laughed at our story about moving the beast, turns out that new batteries would have got the bitch running and we could have had a LOT OF FUN before parking her on her pad!!aua
My advice is check it out and it might run!!!

Alredneck

Banned
Heck this hole thing sounds kinda sketchy, but what the hey if I had my trusty pocket Woody with me POOF!!!!.............. Anything can happen and get done. What they hey there nothing impossible if you dont try at leat once!:roll:

Woodywood im working on cool toys check my dream sheet on GSA coming up!:-D

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,I would do it with a deuce(cause I don't have a running 5 ton available) but I wouldn't worry ANY if I had a 5 ton.We proved that a deuce CAN pull a gross 40 tons single handed up hill and can STOP 40 tons safely.Being you have a 6-71 powered bridge truck you should have NO PROBLEMS moving it or stopping.

Tankjeepman

Without brakes and steering on the tank you are crazy to try and move it more than a very short distance on very level ground. Towing 55 tons is nothing like towing 20 or 30 tons. If that tank decides to turn or you need to stop it, it will take that 5 ton and throw it around like a 1/4 ton jeep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks