• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton tractor differences

drjconley

What are the differences in 5 ton tractors. For example what is the difference between a 818 and a 813? Also are there any tractors that came with a winch on the back for towing a load from the back on to the trailer? Thanks for the help. Also I tried a search and I couldn't find a thread that answered my questions.

Thank you
Jim

poppop

The 818 is the tractor and an 813 is a cargo truck. Of course someone could have taken the bed off one ane put on a fifth wheel.

jwaller

only the 10 ton M123 tractors came with drag line winch for pulling a load onto the trailer.
818 is cummins motor
m54 or other 5 ton tractor has either a multi motor or mack motor.

drjconley

Sorry about my dumb question, I guess I would like to rephrase the question.

Is the 818, the only tractor that comes with the cummins motor.

Is the only difference in the 5 ton tractors the engine.

Since the m123 tractor is mentioned, I understand it is over legal width. If that is true how much over is it, and does anyone have any problems with the LEOs for being oversized.

Once again thanks for the info, and sorry for the ignorance.
Jim

poppop

Thats the trouble with some of the newer members. They missed a lots of those posts. Some will say search. I searched today for a diagram or explaination of a master cylinder rebuild. I put in master cylinder and got 500 posts. I put in duece master cylinder rebuild and got one post, one of mine. I put in master cylinder rebuild and got zero. Search does not like me and I don't even know what a WICI is. I for one will try to answer newcomers questions even if I have answered them before for someone else. As I stated in a post a year or more ago teachers teach the same lessons year after year because the students change. They do not say got look up last years records because I taught that last year. I guess I am on a little rant here and I am done. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I am glad we have new members with questions.

mtk

What are the differences in 5 ton tractors. For example what is the difference between a 818 and a 813? Also are there any tractors that came with a winch on the back for towing a load from the back on to the trailer? Thanks for the help. Also I tried a search and I couldn't find a thread that answered my questions.

Thank you
Jim
I think the 818 frame is also slightly different than the 813 frame, in that it has significant reinforcements under the fifth wheel that the cargo truck frame lacks.

Don't know if that is relevant to your question or not, but that is what I've picked up from various photos of both types of vehicles.

fasttruck

M123 is 114" wide over rear quarter fender or rear wheels. Just because you can get the front fenders through a gate does not mean the rest will follow. Was issued with both single and dual winch configurations. M 900 series vehicles including the tractor varrientsa came with either a nh 250 cummins @
250 hp or later a l 10 cummins at about 238hp. Both with auto trans and wedge style straight aair brakes.

pevrs114

Also the M123 has a MAX road speed of 45mph, some have put it as low as 35mph. Not exactly a streetable tractor by any means.

There is another truck out there that has a rear winch, but they seem to be somewhat rare - M815 Bolster Truck. It's not a tractor, but I don't know how hard it would be to put a 5th wheel plate and some ramps on the rear of the frame.

Obviously the wreckers have a rear winch.

patch

Not a 5 ton tractor, but the M48 deuce tractor that miltrucks has for sale has a rear winch. Sweet rig, and comes with a drop deck beavertail trailer. And of course the M816 wrecker has the rear winch...

pevrs114

I really like the look of how Miltrucks put the winch and headache rack on his M48 tractor. I searched, and couldn't find a build thread. Does anyone know where it would be located, either here or on the old board? I'd love to see how he rigged that winch into place and hooked it up via PTO.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
His build is not posted here. He started with an M35A2C and went from there. The headache rack and rear winch are from an M756A2 pipeline deuce. Porch and quarter fenders are from a deuce tractor and the 5th wheel and approach ramps are from a 5 ton tractor. That rear winch is driven off of a transfer case PTO, stock to the M756A2.
Hope this helps.

M813A1

Boyce Equipment had several of the M815 Bolster Trucks for Sale !! And it is the M819 is the Wrecker Tractor with the 5th wheel on back !!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the tractor wreckers DO NOT have rear winches,,, go ahead and ask me how i know :razz:

area52

Also...............

M246- Truck 5-Ton, gas engine, tractor, wrecker
M246A1- Truck 5-Ton, Mack engine, diesel, tractor, wrecker
M246A2- Truck 5-Ton, LDS multifuel, tractor, wrecker
M819- Truck 5 ton, Cummins engine, diesel, tractor, wrecker

Which, of course, these units do have winches on the back.
Ummm.... no, like Ron said, these have a 5th wheel plate but no winch on the back.

Also, the 10 ton tractor has two versions, one with a single winch on the rear and one with two winches. Both versions - the winches are rated at 45,000lbs!!!:shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the trouble with some of the newer members. They missed a lots of those posts. Some will say search. I searched today for a diagram or explaination of a master cylinder rebuild. I put in master cylinder and got 500 posts. I put in duece master cylinder rebuild and got one post, one of mine. I put in master cylinder rebuild and got zero. Search does not like me and I don't even know what a WICI is. I for one will try to answer newcomers questions even if I have answered them before for someone else. As I stated in a post a year or more ago teachers teach the same lessons year after year because the students change. They do not say got look up last years records because I taught that last year. I guess I am on a little rant here and I am done. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I am glad we have new members with questions.
I'm with you Lloyd, I don't see any problem with a few extra posts, then again, I have always liked teaching, you learn so much from it. :)

emr

yeesh, this was one i just had to look at because well, I said to myself, sounds like a question someone would ask around my buddys and i just to get a MILITARY TRUCK conversation going, And well it sure Did!! I agree on answering questions, but some are just asked SO many times, A search first is good i think , Then ask away, AND well who does not want to talk about tracktors!!!!!!!!!!!!!...:-D...I sure love em all!!!!! Turned into a GREAT post...Randy