• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton tractor with multifuel, MA

chevyCUCV

A scrap yard got a hold of a 5 ton tractor today. It has the multifuel engine.

I started it(easily), let it idle and build pressure. The brakes dont work. Claimed brake line blown, also told it runs and drives, moved around yard at slow speed.

I am kicking myself for not bidding it up.:-(

New owner was happy at his purchase price and informed me he was to "cut it up." I recommended he sell.

Hoping to save the truck, it is priced fairly. Hoping someone wants a 5 ton tractor with multifuel.

Will connect any serious interests with info in PM's.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Any chance you could get pics of the engine ?

That looks like it may have a 673 Mack in it,not doubting your word,but the exhaust and intake plumbing scream early Mack install.

PM sent

Last edited:

chevyCUCV

Checked it over today. Does have the Mack engine in it. Oil is clean and full.
Radiator is low.

Talked to owner and operator. Basically its been sitting around the yard for 2 plus years. Just being started and moved when ever needed.
There are plenty of bee's hives and little spots of rust which show.

Time to start reading up on brake system and pricing out parts:confused:

chevyCUCV

No i have a couple days to make a move. Guy is being friendly/ willing to help me out since a few people put in a good word for me.

My problem is, i am not ready for a truck this size. No place to store it or work on it. I really dont want to get a dead 5 ton in my driveway, i would never hear the end of it.
And i only have class B, so a tractor is pretty useless to me

I guess i could get it and bob it and put on a deuce bed:twisted::twisted:

AMGeneral

Checked it over today. Does have the Mack engine in it. Oil is clean and full.
Radiator is low.

Talked to owner and operator. Basically its been sitting around the yard for 2 plus years. Just being started and moved when ever needed.
There are plenty of bee's hives and little spots of rust which show.

Time to start reading up on brake system and pricing out parts:confused:

I thought so,that exhaust setup was the first that came out on the early Mack repowers/factory produced trucks,it used the same muffler and tailpipe as the gassers.

If you decide you don't want it,I'll definetly take a chance on getting it further south.It's only 870 miles or so.

Mack Attack

Banned
We had 6 M50 series 5tons on the family farm, 2 Gasser's and 4 Mack's of which only 3 Mack's were correct ! The 4th had a bad 673-T so it got swapped out with a turbo charged 711 Mack diesel ;-) This rig would look great on ten brand new 11R24.5 radial T831's, With a nice coat of RED paint. M/A

chevyCUCV

Update for any interested people. Talked to vintageiron today about the truck, will likely get his help with getting the truck road worthy if i purchase.

Talked to the scrap yard owner today, he has had an unbelievable amount of interest in the truck. Even a 4000 dollar offer, but i still have rights to it.

Tomorrow i will go to give a final inspection and test drive, if all is well besides brakes(and being 50 years old) I'll lay out the cash:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks