• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton truck question.

jpwilson

i am looking for my first mv. i would really like to get a m35a2 but i cant find any localy. but at a car lot in town they have a 5 ton tractor truck but i am not really sure what it is maybe a m818? it needs some cosmetic work as far as i can see not really had to chance to drive it or see how it runs to to tell if it is a decent truck or not. the front tires are bigger than the ones on the back. an i know in any other 4x4 truck this will cause probs with the transfer case. i would like to know if the front tires are suposed to be bigger than the ones on the back on this truck or could this be a prob?

dozer1

The tires should all be the same size. I dont know if it would have hurt anything yet but it needs to be corrected, What size tires does it got on the front and rear. are the rear duals?

treessw

Another thought on the matter at hand, someone may have taken this truck and put floaters on the front trying to match some of the other civi rigs out on the road. Just a thought

KsM715

Normally there the same size. But the 5 ton has a 1 way sprauge so you won't get windup. I hope this helps you.;)

If the tires are bigger in the front they would be turning slower than the rears and the t-case would try to engage the fronts.

Edit: If they are considerably bigger.

area52

Normally there the same size. But the 5 ton has a 1 way sprauge so you won't get windup. I hope this helps you.;)
I am not sure what you mean by 1 way sprauge, but as far as I know all the older 5 ton trucks with a sprague transfer case should have the same size tire front and rear.

R Racing

Well the way the sprauge works if memory serves me right is that when you shift from forwrd to back or visa versa you select that sprauge. and if for example the rear wheels were spinning ,while going forward faster than the front the sprauge would engage the front wheels to help pull you thru . but if going down the road on dry asphault the rear wheel were pushing faster than the front , the front wheels would free wheel as to not cause windup. And yes the truck was designed to have the same size tires all the way around.

pmramsey

i am looking for my first mv. i would really like to get a m35a2 but i cant find any localy. but at a car lot in town they have a 5 ton tractor truck but i am not really sure what it is maybe a m818? it needs some cosmetic work as far as i can see not really had to chance to drive it or see how it runs to to tell if it is a decent truck or not. the front tires are bigger than the ones on the back. an i know in any other 4x4 truck this will cause probs with the transfer case. i would like to know if the front tires are suposed to be bigger than the ones on the back on this truck or could this be a prob?
If you lived near me, you'd be welcome to drive one of my M818s. I can assure you that once you drive a 5-tonner and later drive a Deuce, the only reason you would consider a Deuce might be price. However, $3500-$4500 will get you a reasonable deuce or a 5-tonner.

KsM715

Well the way the sprauge works if memory serves me right is that when you shift from forwrd to back or visa versa you select that sprauge. and if for example the rear wheels were spinning ,while going forward faster than the front the sprauge would engage the front wheels to help pull you thru . but if going down the road on dry asphault the rear wheel were pushing faster than the front , the front wheels would free wheel as to not cause windup. And yes the truck was designed to have the same size tires all the way around.

Its the other way around. Thats what makes the sprauge engage. In the mud, if the front gets mired down and the rears start to spin faster than the front the sprauge will catch and spin the fronts.

jpwilson

sorry guys, i went back to the car lot today to look at the truck again. because i didt really have alot of tme the other day when i looked at it. the tires are all the same size. the truck is facing up hill on a slope lol. an i gues its just the way the truck sits. its the first time i have ever really looked at one up close. this is the truck. could any of you tell me if its an m818 possibly? and im going to call the guy that owns it monday because its not the car lots. they have it their for a guy thats trying to sell it. and all the guys at the car lot know is that its a 5 ton truck

Attachments

bevanet

If it was an 818 you should see a big round air filter on the drivers fender. Not sure what this is. I have both a duece and a 5-ton. I like driving the 5-ton a lot better mainly because of the power-steering. I believe that when you are in a forward gear the sprauge allows the front driveline to turn faster than the rear drive line, just not slower. That way you can go around corners since the fronts take a wider arc, and the fronts will still pull if the rears slip. Larger tires on the front would cause problems. I agree that these trucks do look higher in the front though.

Nonotagain

That does not look like an M818, may be an M123, 10 ton. Hard to tell from that picture.
With that large winch mounted behind the cab, I'd say M123 10 ton truck.

If Dirt71 were around he'd peg that truck in a second.

Unless the OP has lots of money I'd pass since it's not going to be road worthy without changing out the rear duals to get under the 102 inch width requirement.

KsM715

Its not a 809 series 5ton for sure. I'm not sure if the older model 5tons have the front tires centered in the wheel well like that truck has. With the winches on the back like that I'm betting its a 10ton.

If the price is right you could probably buy it and flip it. 10tons are getting rare.

jpwilson

i belive you guys are right about the it being a 10. i just watched some videos on youtube of the m123s and thats what it looks like. so these trucks are not road leagel? and thanks for the help trying to figure out what this truck is. the guys at the lot say its a 5 ton. but i agree with you guys tho about it being a 10 ton. im still gonna check an see what the price is an all the details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks