• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton truck question.

AMX

If you lived near me, you'd be welcome to drive one of my M818s. I can assure you that once you drive a 5-tonner and later drive a Deuce, the only reason you would consider a Deuce might be price. However, $3500-$4500 will get you a reasonable deuce or a 5-tonner.
Why do you prefer the 5 ton?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know several people who would like to get ahold of it! If you want to buy it, I will drive up and help you look it over, and help you get it home.

fasttruck

A m123 for sure. Also seems to have a non military fifth wheel vprobably to get a 2.5" jaw. Could be eitehr gas or diesel with under deck exhaust. Air intake on right side of hood ? then its a diesel.

123mack

If they think it's a run of the mill,average 5 ton, don't argue with them. :twisted: On the downside, the owner probably knows what he has. In any case, these big boys need to be saved.

jpwilson

it says diesel on both tanks but no big air box on the passenger side. but it has exhaust pipes on both sides. the guy that owns it has a larg grading and land clearing buisness. i dont really know anything about the truck. if your interested just pm me and i will give you the contact info for the car lot i dont belive im interested in the truck i dont want to have to get permits everytime i take it out. i couldnt find the actual owners number but i will keep trying to get it.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it says diesel on both tanks but no big air box on the passenger side. but it has exhaust pipes on both sides. the guy that owns it has a larg grading and land clearing buisness. i dont really know anything about the truck. if your interested just pm me and i will give you the contact info for the car lot i dont belive im interested in the truck i dont want to have to get permits everytime i take it out. i couldnt find the actual owners number but i will keep trying to get it.

Likely a Cummins V8 model M123A1C.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
almost identical pictures here So M123 .

The Olive-drab website says that that thing - legal or not - is not properly geared for highway use, only for off-road. Maybe the previous owner found that out also and is sick of it already. Or he could use it for his land-clearing work and now has other projects going on (or cheaper vehicles).

Having said that, I would pick it up as well, but am probably way down the line of potentials.....about 4,500 miles way down :-? :-?

FYI, that linked website is from a German guy, lots of nice pictures on all kind of trucks, I linked to him in an earlier thread as well

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jpwilson,
In SC you get a yearly overwidth permit for $100. So that's not TOO bad. But for your first MV and all, I would pass on a 10 ton. Just too big, slow, and expensive to operate.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering. Why would they make the M123 with a drive-train geared ONLY for off-road?

According Olive Drab: "Its gearing restricts it use to off-road field activity, not line haul." Anybody here on SS actually ever owned on?

jpwilson

Jpwilson,
In SC you get a yearly overwidth permit for $100. So that's not TOO bad. But for your first MV and all, I would pass on a 10 ton. Just too big, slow, and expensive to operate.
yeah i dont really want a 10 ton and like you said it may be a little to big for my first mv. the speed thing dont bother me at all im 21 and driving a slow truck dont bother me. especially if its somethin that big i know its most likley got some POWER lol. but if you would like the number to the car lot pm me and i would be glad to get it for you, i belive i will pass on this truck.

emr

For the knowledge u have from the original question, u need to read a ton on deuces and 5 tons on this site , before U make a decision in my opinion, :) good luck... :) ask how the search function works and U will be amazed how much more there is than one can get from one post... :beer:

AMGeneral

Well folks,I called about this one today,it's definetly a M123A1C,tires are "old"
and the seller is asking $12,000 firm,the fellow wasn't sure if it had a title,probably not he said.

That was pretty well the end of the conversation for me.

Westech

CPL
well because its big and green its worth a million bucks.
There are a bunch of M105 trailers (beaters with no tops) around my AO for 600 -1200 bucks... some people...

jpwilson

well i can tell you right now the truck is not worth anything close to that. i may not know alot about what mvs are worth but i am pretty familar with how much civ vehicles are worth and this is not a 12k vehicle. that tuck must just be made of gold :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks