• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Vertical Wall Climb Height?

Augdog1964

Hey all,

Checked my TMs and don't see it listed... anyone ever seen a figure for the vertical wall climb height for the M939 series... the standard, and the A1 / A2 models?

I'm getting ready to build a new section of trail, and thinking about adding an optional vertical wall climb to a section of it for fun..?? comments / suggestions / video of past exploits / ideas?

thanks in advance!

bill2444

I speculate that a 5ton could verticaly scale anything up to the lower point of the front bumper. Look up front aproch angles for refrence. After that modification would be required to push the front axle out in front of the front bumper.

M920

I speculate that a 5ton could verticaly scale anything up to the lower point of the front bumper. Look up front aproch angles for refrence. After that modification would be required to push the front axle out in front of the front bumper.
I don't think it's quite that simple! That would probably hold true to just get the front tires on the top of a vertical step.....what about the rear tires, 'belly clerance', drive shaft, fuel tank, air tanks, etc. If it is not available in the TMs, it would probably have to be tested in the field....
:driver:

Augdog1964

Angle of Approach is all I can find in any TM... and you're right M920, while helpful, it doesn't tell the whole story... I want to do a step up for the trail for the 5 tons... of course it will probably have to accommodate standard 5 tons with duals, so the A1 and A2 won't get fully worked out... trial and error seems the only recourse at present...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave - Soni is on the money for 'ramp over', HOWEVER, if your trail rises after the vertical wall then that would lift the belly over the wall.
There is a thread on loading a step deck trailer w/o ramps - so the finite answer, on the flat, will be what ever clearance you have when the tyres touch the vertical or how much of the front undercarrage you want to shove in the dirt - ditch roller on a half track but only for the front.
For trail building, consider humping the ground beyond the top of the vertical - then you will get the belly over it, though the rear boggey will have issues re the prop shaft so you could carve out the center of the wall to give clearance with only the tyres doing the climb. Then there is the 'wear' factor as more people try it (unsucessfully?), digging down the appproach making it worse....

Last edited:

Augdog1964

Zebedee... that was VERY helpful! You're right... I had thought about putting the step at a low hill climb area to aid in getting the belly over the obstacle, but i never thought about putting a slope down to help pull the second axle over... good idea...

The cut out was a good idea too... I was going to buy a couple of the huge concrete retention blocks for this... guess a jackhammer could pull out the material in the center!

Keep the ideas coming... this could be really cool...

serial14

Well I can say from experience I've done a 4' sand/dirt ledge in my M923A1. The drawing above is very helpful and correct. The easy part is getting the front axles up and over. It gets harder when its the rears. In my case the rear diffs hit the dirt and carved their own trench. Additionally I didn't have the hump over at the top to aid in getting the rear up. Because of this, the truck just started digging out its own ramp that it could climb up.

So in the end... it was a combination of climbing the ledge and letting the truck form out its own path. If you were building this trail out of "hard" materials then I would pay much more attention to the details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks