• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton vs Deuce

slotman

There seems to have been a lot of 5 ton tractors sold recently on GL. But, tractors are of limited use - question is

Has anyone used a drop side deuce bed, shortened to the appropriate length with a hole cut for a 5th wheel in the bed? Could you still pull a trailer with the sides down? If the 5th wheel was removed could the previously cut out piece be reinforced and locked back in? How much does a 5th wheel assemply weigh? I would assume a 6,000 pound rated fork lift could take it in and out. Also, could you weld brackets on the bed and frame for a hydraulic ram to make it into a dump bed, while doing the fab work. Would it be possible to fold the hydraulic ram back toward the cab, pinned in place, when not in use? This could turn the vehicle into a very versatile vehicle, as a cargo vehicle, dump truck and tractor, all in one. I am thinking of putting a 1/2 ton crane in the back of the bed with a barrel attachment for lifting 55 gallon drums of WMO in and out, and other things as well. The 5 ton tractor, even though a little more expensive than a deuce, appeals to me because it already comes with powere steering, a bigger motor, higher load carrying capacity, etc. Has anyone done any of these modifications? If so, pictures and how they were fabbed up would be helpful. any other ways of doing these things would be great to hear about.

tm america

i've been thinking of something similar with my truck i have a m35a2c with a dump i want to make it into a slide off bed with the fifth wheel mounded between the rails so i could slide the bed off use it as a tractor slide the drop side bed on when i need a dump. slide my m109 bed on when i want a camper all i need to do it put two long 3 x 6 inch inch pieces of angle iron on for my dump to mount to and make some way to lock the bed on when its on.oh ya i'm gonna mount some pulleys for my winch cable to run through to winch the beds off and on with

Jakob

That's a good idea in theory, but I don't know how realistic it is. I'd like to get a 5t tractor, but the major thing holding me back is it's limited use.

zb39

limited use is a problem. even a 5 ton cargo, howmuch better is it than a duece.............I will probably find out first hand.:razz::razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks