• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wheelbase differences?

Scout

Are 5 ton tractors, dump, cargos, and wreckers all the same wheelbase? I'm looking at a '67 5 ton tractor and will probably want to convert it to a dump or cargo body with a hoist. It's hard to tell from photos.

m.walker

Tractors and dumps are 167" wheelbase , wreckers and cargos are 179" , tractor/wreckers and XLW cargos are 215" . Is this the info you needed ? Your truck looks good ranchhopper !

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Is the 179" wheel base what the long bed 5 ton has? I saw one in Jefferson Citya couple of years ago at a state auction and it was really long. I wished I had bid on it later because it's the only one I've ever seen.

Scout

Yes, that's what I was looking for. A local guy is selling a tractor and a wrecker. I think I would like the additional wheelbase, but am not interested in the wrecker parts. How saleable/desireable are the wrecker pieces if I remove them?

KsM715

Wrecker parts are junk. Just send the truck to me and Ill remove all the parts you dont need so you wont have to bother with it and Ill send it back stripped.:-D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
wreckers and tractor/wreckers have a double frame,,, the bridge truck mite have a double frame also

area52

Yes, that's what I was looking for. A local guy is selling a tractor and a wrecker. I think I would like the additional wheelbase, but am not interested in the wrecker parts. How saleable/desireable are the wrecker pieces if I remove them?

I know of a few posts on here from people wanting the rear winch ( the big one) or parts off of one.

the PTO's are valuable also.

oilcan

I downloaded the TACOM data sheets out of the manuals section the other day because I had a similar wheelbase question. There's a load of info and measuremeents in there, and lots of cool line drawings.

It's a pretty big file, though. I never could get it while I was on dialup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks