• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton winch interchangeable

ross165123

This may be a really stupid question that has already been answered and if it has please tell me where.

Can one mount a m939 series hydraulic winch and a m809 series truck easily? They seem to be much easier to find. Any input would be nice,i just cant seem to find any information on it.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you're just going to have to install a hyd pump and valving to run it.

A hyd winch should be a nice upgrade compared to a PTO winch.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From what I have seen, they are the same. I have a hyd motor from a 939 series truck to convert my winch on the M62.

Artisan

No such thing as a "900 Series"

There is an M939 Series. Period.

It is what it is, adopting slang can be VERY dangerous.

Where is Doghead when we need him!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The winches ARE the same BUT the 939 hyd. drive WILL NOT clear a 39 series or 809 series radiator, the 939 series radiator has a relief for the hyd. drive and sits higher. The way around this is to shaft drive the winch, with the hyd. drive driving the shaft.

THIS is a lot of work to hyd. drive a 39/809 series winch just to turn it into a lower class winch that will do less then the original winch drive.

Gunzy

The winches ARE the same BUT the 939 hyd. drive WILL NOT clear a 39 series or 809 series radiator, the 939 series radiator has a relief for the hyd. drive and sits higher. The way around this is to shaft drive the winch, with the hyd. drive driving the shaft.

THIS is a lot of work to hyd. drive a 39/809 series winch just to turn it into a lower class winch that will do less then the original winch drive.
I have never seen a releif in the M939 series radiator. But there is a releif in the forward crossmember on the M939series truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ron, I wondered about that. I know that is the case on deuce but didn't know about the 5-tons.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have never seen a releif in the M939 series radiator. But there is a releif in the forward crossmember on the M939series truck.
Thank you,
I remember the relief, just forgot where, though the 939 radiator does sit higher which clears the top of the hyd. drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks