• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton woe's from Ft Hill UT to Kennewick, WA

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SS/Chris,

Thanx for the support.
Bad part now is copper prices are rising so re-coring is BIG $$$ and it is not new, so how long can you trust it to last.

Chevycrew/Steve,

Thanx for the offer.
BUT,
I ordered the $625 + S&H radiator one that TNJMurray had and I can get a fan blade from Boyce.
I think I am over it all and will have it trucked up here.
No more.
THe 5 ton purred, but until I tear her apart and put her back together again, I just can't trust that she will be able to make a long distance trip.
Plus after leaving it in Burley we made it all the way to Baker City to find the Ladd Canyon part of I-84 closed due to high wind and snow.
So I stayed in Baker for the night.
I would have stayed to work on the 5 ton, but my friend Kat, who was driving the chase vehicle, had work related travel early Tuesday.
So I had to get her back. ALL GOOD LUCK as far as I am concerned.
No loss of life and nothing that can't be repaired.

Will I do it again?
I hope not, but probably will, I am just dense that way.
It is hard to learn from some of your mistakes.
But it is good character building.
And everyone likes to hear the story of how things started out bad and then went curiously out of control.

Heck, it was a little more than a year ago, that I was moving sixteen 16.00 x 20 tires from UT to WA and I lost a wheel off of my trailer and had to use the same tow company to recover the carcass and load them onto my new trailer. And where did it happen, Burley. So it proves I just don't learn.

Thanx for the offers.
Now if I can be of support to anyone in the nearby states, let me know.
I have some experience under my belt now.
I only got to log 150 miles in the 5 ton over the 4 days, but 2500 miles in the pickup truck.
And as long as I am the helper and not the helpless, I'll try to be there for you.

Tony

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that is such a bummer about the fan. I know we were all pulling for you and initially it was a good to go trip. My recovery trips always stop about 15 minutes after leaving and I go over everything at the unit maintenance level. It has helped me find little loose things like the fan you had before they got to to the stage of doing severe damage. I really hope to hear the truck is home safe and sound soon and that you and your friend are home safe as well. Be glad you have the truck out of GL hands at least that is a major accomplishment.

Having been an Army transporter my entire career this is not uncommon for trucks that sit and then go go go. Please keep us updated and we are praying for you.

derby

Sorry to hear of your troubles,but glad you got it off base.just think if nothing would have happend you would not have any story's to tell. Oh by the way I was not trying to say "tow the 5 ton with the M35" just off base to the nearist parking lot. It would do it ,and with the right amount of caution,safley.A good buddy of mine does it all the time.

Albin

All this because a freight company couldn't or wouldn't get their act together and haul this thing home as they agreed to.

I'd be burning their name on every board I could.

Good luck getting your 5 ton home safely.

Al

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm with you Joseph (coming from someone who's flat towed many a deuce with a one ton crew cab)

bevanet

I noticed that you brought "collector plates" from your M35. Are these the license plates? and what is the purpose of bringing them? Just curious since I need to recover a truck pretty soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks