• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wrecker bed

tobyS

Okay got it, no power beyond for that to be the interconnect line. It appears to come from the winch valve (A or B port) which could be pressure or return (depending on power running it in or out). My mistake...I thought this was a modified system that was only using one pump.

Please straighten me out as to what the (pictured) line is for. I don't understand this;

" it's a return for the second set of pto that would of been on the truck, and the big Fred for the main pump has a second port on it for the suction side of the second pump"

Heavywrecker

Little line is a return for the second hydraulic system, the big suction hose that goes to the main pump has a goofy fitting with a second outlet for a second pump to suck from under the hydraulic swivel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

I'll stop interrupting this thread with my confusion about the purpose of this line. As a suction line, it appears way too small.

Heavywrecker

IMG_1329.JPG

The fitting next to the pump goes on the big port of the pump and connects the auction port of the main pump to the huge hose from the swivel, if you look closely the fitting has a really. If port on one side, that is the suction from the swivel that goes to the tank, the other end of that fitting has a smaller jic connection, that is for the second pto pump suction from the tank

tobyS

That smaller one is the return lol

So the return to tank from system 1 is plumbed to the suction of system 2 by this line. If system 2 is not operated, the flow would go backwards into that pumps suction line, pressurizing it (some). Of course it bypasses any filters this way.

Heavywrecker

It's a Hendy, bought it from a school that was getting new equipment, also have a big Bridgeport mill for playing with this stuff, the lathe was made in the late 40's I believe it says on it, something to do with military war production

Csm Davis

It's a Hendy, bought it from a school that was getting new equipment, also have a big Bridgeport mill for playing with this stuff, the lathe was made in the late 40's I believe it says on it, something to do with military war production
If the Bridge port has that tag you need to look real close at all the tolerances that is why it was tagged they were built really fast and not perfect to help the war effort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

If the Bridge port has that tag you need to look real close at all the tolerances that is why it was tagged they were built really fast and not perfect to help the war effort.
That's interesting to know.

I finished up my enlistment with reserve time here in the D.C. area, and our battalion would regularly drill over at Ft. Belvoir in Fairfax VA (it's an Army Engineering base but us Seabees had our own little corner of it).

We had a machine shop there in our "compound" just loaded with all of that heavy cast-iron pre-war (WWII) equipment. It was like metal-working heaven to visit that shop. :jumpin::drool::drool::drool:

Csm Davis

That's interesting to know.

I finished up my enlistment with reserve time here in the D.C. area, and our battalion would regularly drill over at Ft. Belvoir in Fairfax VA (it's an Army Engineering base but us Seabees had our own little corner of it).

We had a machine shop there in our "compound" just loaded with all of that heavy cast-iron pre-war (WWII) equipment. It was like metal-working heaven to visit that shop. :jumpin::drool::drool::drool:
Not pre or post war but during WWII they relaxed the tolerances so they could be built faster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks