• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wrecker bed

tobyS

Yep tight!! Have you considered a pony engine? A sweet Honda or something really good on fuel. I'm building an Isuzu C240...which is also a refer unit engine, for a sawmill.

Heavywrecker

Might just do that, then I can set up my wireless remote, I see there is 3 wires going threw the swivel, these must be on a swiveling contact as well? Be ideal to add more wires to that but gotta do what ya can if there is only 3 contacts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcuhillbilly

Might just do that, then I can set up my wireless remote, I see there is 3 wires going threw the swivel, these must be on a swiveling contact as well? Be ideal to add more wires to that but gotta do what ya can if there is only 3 contacts

those contacts are for the lights, 24v dc. problematic if they ever give you trouble. basically they are on 3 rings with insulators internally that will allow contact of the electrical to pass up to the crane lights. maybe I can find a pic on here somewhere.

wcuhillbilly

here is a pic of the older M816 version, as you can see we old school with the 816 have a gear box that powers the hydraulic pump in our crane turret. This is vastly different than your 936 which I could not find a pic of. Davis or Zebedee likely have more knowledge than I on that topic. Red and I have been looking into retro fitting the hydraulic swivel like yours onto our 816s to spare us the trouble of replacing driveshafts made of US Army Un-obtainium, as I just did in "5 ton hottrodding" "Wrecker broken CV joint"

if it will load, here is the pic of the electrical connectors for the 816 swivel, similar to your 936 version. (principle will be the same, but you don't have the gear boxes.)

View attachment M816 crane gear case assembly.pdf

Heavywrecker

Be selling the pump from the wrecker bed I think if anyone is interested, probably going to have a custom 30 gpm and 17 gpm tandem pump made for my pto on the truck

Heavywrecker

Ok guys, did some figuring, pump displacement for the pump on the bed is 16.5 ci per rotation, now if you figure the shaft turns 1.5x engine speed that's near 100 gpm, now if y'all are saying it's suppose to be around the 30 gpm mark that would be more like 1/2 engine speed (idle to 1,000 rpm so say pump is 500 rpm) would be 35 gpm.....that's my only hiccup, if I can figure out the correct gpm for sure to operate the bed at normal speed that would be great then I can get it mounted! Thanks again everyone

tobyS

Ok guys, did some figuring, pump displacement for the pump on the bed is 16.5 ci per rotation, now if you figure the shaft turns 1.5x engine speed that's near 100 gpm, now if y'all are saying it's suppose to be around the 30 gpm mark that would be more like 1/2 engine speed (idle to 1,000 rpm so say pump is 500 rpm) would be 35 gpm.....that's my only hiccup, if I can figure out the correct gpm for sure to operate the bed at normal speed that would be great then I can get it mounted! Thanks again everyone

Is that the transfer case driven pump? Red said 1/1 if it is. How did you determine that its 16.5 ci/r?

I don't know about Eaton, but Allison recommends not going over 45 hp max intermittent (continuous at 80%) on a tranny mount PTO. At 1200 psi and 100 gal, that's over 70 hp.

Last edited:

Heavywrecker

Eaton has a 250ft ft lb limit on the 6 bolt, I took the pump apart reversed the rotation and measured everything

Heavywrecker

I can provide measurements so you can double check my calculations if you'd like? I just want it correct the first time lol

tobyS

So I guess the question is at normal operating speed what's the gpm flow ? That's what matters

If your doing the PTO on the tranny and it is the same as the 939 series, at 1000 rpm it will (rounded) turn 1500. 1500 x 16.5 = 24750 cu inch. There is 231 cu in /gallon so that's 107 gallons. That is a lot of flow. The 35 gpm number comes from a 925 winch and not a crane. Nobody I have seen has measured the crane flow. I didn't know it was that high.

tobyS

I can provide measurements so you can double check my calculations if you'd like? I just want it correct the first time lol

Do you have a make and part number to get that info from the manufacturer? Area of two gears meshed is hard to calculate.