• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Wrecker Vs. Flower Shop

madsam

I know this is old, but I had not seen this. I can just imagine the feeling of doing that in my 816... Your description is grate.

pa.rich

You did the rite thing looping to the side to save the people downhill and appears the a/c units stopped the truck bed from pushing the brick wall in. Glad no one was hurt and the truck is o.k. The a/c units? Thay are scrap. and the building can be fixed easily from what I could see in the pictures. Sorry for the crash, let us know what happened. Brake line burst?

saddamsnightmare

June 15th, 2008.

To repeat Recovery 4X4 above: BOY, were you ever lucky, but I suspect that a pretrip brake inspection would have caught the compromised brake system..... NEVER trust those puppies on E-BAY!!!! Given that it is a 5 ton with one hydraulic brake system, it has all the weaknesses of the deuce and a great deal more weight..... :deadhorse: I would suggest, if you are in a hilly area and are going to drive the truck off property, to consider either replacing/rebuilding all the brake system components (air & hydraulic), or more certainly, consider hunting up the parts to do an ESP program split type brake system, to at least give you some wiggle room in the event of a failure..... :popcorn:
This goes back to my discuission back in January that we need to consider converting the units to split brakes, and if we can't get the parts stateside to do the conversions, check and see if that South Korean truck company that's doing parts for the M35's would consider engineering a new brake system valve and air pack to adapt the brakes......
Manufacturere's Liability????
Uncle Sam took himself off the hook when he sold the truck(s), and we put ourselves and the insurance companies on the hook when we buy and run them..... You were very, very, lucky this time, so the money would be well spent upgrading or changing the system so there's no next time.... These trucks (cargo) were and are used as loggers trucks in W.Va., and they are respected for the damage they can do when something goes wrong....
Nice shots of the truck, just shows you that no matter how nice the paint is, a demon can be lurking on her somewhere.... fat lady sings

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules Gas-Gen Set APU MEP023A
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 MB

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to speak with Mr. "runs good, everything works." and see what his comments might be?

APM215

Sounds like the stuff that happens to me.
I try to do things the right way but bad things keep happening.
some times I think I should just pay someone to just do it for me
and save me the money it will cost me when it all goes wrong. aua

Alredneck

Banned
Man thats crazy, good thing there was a building there to stop ya :lol: , no telling how far you would of gone if there wasnt :driver: At least the truck wasnt hurt, who needs flower anyway go pick then in a field. Well a lil brake worke and you will be set to enjoy your new rig, and have quite a few more adventures! :grd:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad you didnt hurt anyone else. we should all take a look at how fast a big truck can get going. sorry your first day with truck will be remembered for many moons to come

pyrogod117

I just saw this today - linked from another post. Wow. I laughed my ass off at the damage that truck did to the AC units and roof with hardly any momentum. If you hadn't turned... god I don't even want to think how many cars you would have pancaked. 36,000 lbs (or is it more?) going backwards gaining speed must be ridiculously scary... I'm glad nobody got hurt though.

BTW What did the ebay seller say?

Last edited:

hoopsoft

Amazing it didn't do more damage to the flower shop. Wow you ever got tanks with it, that would be a bonus explosions. I bet all the haggarty insurers are thinking, great there goes our rates, and we're gonna have even more restrictions now.. :razz:

bevanet

The emergency brake in my 5-ton is quite good, but I never tried using it with any speed. I'm glad I read this because I use it on some steep hills. I'm usually in a low gear, but I didn't realize these were a "one leak and you are screwed" system. I think I'll look closely at the flex lines!

fireball

He just hasn't heard from the lawyer that represents the flowers inside the shop. I hear that post tramatic stress for a african violet can be very pricey.