• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons trucks in New England

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called once about the M923s/M925s. I was very interested. If I could have found a truck like those pictured on his site, I was willing to pay his high-end price (around $15K if I remember correctly). I was told that I could visit to look at the 2-3 trucks at their location with little notice. However, they were not going to lead me over to their lot (some distance away, I assume) where the majority of the trucks are located unless I was willing to put a deposit down on a truck BEFORE I had even seen one. I presume that I could have gotten my money back if I could have explained to his satisfaction why I could not find the "right" truck. Things never got that far so I did not find out. It appears that they may have dropped that policy based upon what I am reading here. Or...perhaps, this was never a real policy...just a way to thin out the tire kickers. I never did go up there so I can't say much about the experience.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMMADO22, that's a nice HMMWV you have. It is a 2-man, right? I believe I saw it Aberdeen, or else I've seen pictures on this site.

colyork

heavy truck sales of new england has one that is in running condition (Engine runs is what I was told) has a cargo body with a water tank ,x fire truck .He doesn't think people will buy it becauce it is a gasser. I do not know what he wants for it though. He is in Berwick ,phone number is 207/698/1328.

loslobos11

Bruce, I think that I got kind of lucky in the fact that I spoke to two different people on the phone at Schotts. The first told me to come up and check some out, I had wanted to see what kind of prices he had on trucks. The second guy seemed reluctant to have me come out and repeatedly mentioned a deposit. I did not want to pay a deposit just to look at trucks...I can understand wanting to weed out tire kickers, but the deposit is for when you pick out a couple potential trucks, they get them running and you drive them. He also said he told me he had like 250 m813's, I saw about 50-60, 20-30 m923's a couple of deuce's, a wrecker, and a HEMMT. There were two large buildings at the site but I didnt see what was inside. I will say that the trucks I saw were not to be compared to the pictures on the website. Most trucks had flat tires, tires very cracked and bald, also most had a some form of cosmetic damage or missing parts. However the prices reflect the shape they are in........I will know more next week hopefully

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
loslobos11, I'm also very interested to see and hear about what they have up there. I've heard about them, I see their ad, but I don't know anyone who's ever bought a truck from up there other than the guys at (www.watertrucks.com) ... and they weren't all that happy when their trucks finally arrived in Arizona. So, if you can, make sure to sneak a camera in there and take a BUNCH of pictures! I saw Bruce's note about the Lockers; Bruce had good luck with them, so ultimately you'll just have to make a judgement call. When you go look at them the driver's side door will normally have a data plate on it that says something about "this truck has lockers ...". Otherwise, if the M809 or M939 series truck has the ISO dropside bed it's a dead giveaway that it's a USMC truck. Click on the following for a picture of a USMC ISO dropside bed Lockers equipped M923, just for reference:

http://www.czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_Ton_Trucks/Joe's%20Motorpool/DSC01544.JPG

Another dead giveaway is the front bumper. If it's got the cut off "paperclips" on the bumper, it's got the Detroit Lockers. If it's a USMC truck, I can almost gaurantee that it's got lockers. Good luck and thanks, Joe

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn, I don't know why the link always cuts off like that. Being new to steelsoldiers I feel like a kid on training wheels. I don't even know how to put the picture by my name, to list what I have, or how to post pictures ...

http://www.czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_Ton_Trucks/Joe's%20Motorpool/DSC01544.JPG

or

http://www.czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_Ton_Trucks/Joe's%20Motorpool/DSC01552.JPG

Thanks,

Joe

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hmmm....let me see if I have any luck, Joe

I can't get the links to work, either. Oh well, I have another idea.....

Attachments

loslobos11

Joe, from my memory, and I didnt check every single one, most, if not all had the ISO dropsides, and the cutoffs on the bumper. Most were stenciled USMC, sorry for lack of pics, I WILL get a bunch when I next go up. Most trucks had singles, there were a couple of dualed trucks, I believe they had different sides....and didnt have USMC stenciling, they were in pretty hard shape though. Like I said before, it was my weekend and I had my daughter so I didnt do nearly enough poking around...I guess I will have to take a day off from work... :D I will keep everyone updated on progress, again I cant say enough thanks for the help and advice from everyone, keep it coming I am still pretty new at this!!
Ben

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'm not a computer genius; how do/did you insert the pictures into the post? (please send me answer as a PM, so I am sure to check it). Good luck with your truck hunt.

loslobos11

Well, I have the cash, a friend with a semi and a lowbed and it is looking like next week after christmas I will be going up to Schotts. Towerguy1, pm me or gimme a call if you want to go, would like to have someone there to advise/browse take pics or whatever. Happy Holidays to everyone!

loslobos11

Found it...1986 m813 with 10k miles and 400hrs on the meters, canvas topped(need the bows and canvas its a convertible right now) All six tires have 90% tread or more, needs some work exterior wise, however she took a shot of ether and started after 20 secs of cranking...after sitting for 3 years. Coming home with me saturday...pics will be up soon, hate dialup.. :roll:

jatonka

Congratulations, I'm glad you found a good one, hopefully your experience with the Schotts was OK. I had a feeling that they just weren't into our kind of visiting and sharing stories, but were real good businessmen. Have a ball, John Tennis :D

loslobos11

I said that I would keep a running log of my transaction with Schotts so I will try to tell the story of what happened on wednesday. Every time I called Schotts to try to make an appt. to look at trucks they kept telling me to just call when I was on the way. So I happened to be in Augusta(about 30min away) and called them to tell them I was on the way. They agreed to meet me and talk prices and start trucks if I was interested. When I got there, a really great guy named(i think) Dennis was there, he works part time for Schotts and is really into MV's, his dad was worked on them for 30 years in the army and still does. Most of the trucks there have been sitting for 3 years without running, however they had three trucks that had run and driven 10 miles within the year. The other guy showed up at this point to put prices on the trucks. Two trucks he wanted full price for,$9500 the other he wanted 8k for. I started looking the truck over, and was not impressed. It did have the newer bed style, but both side windows were badly cracked, the bumper was very bent, made me wonder a little. All four back tires had litttle to no tread on them, and it had some surface rust, and a few missing parts. I tried to get him to come down in price, even offered to pay cash, but it was a no go, he would only come down $200 dollars. So we went and looked at other trucks. He showed me a hard top that needed a lot of work but must have had gold rims because he told me it was a $9500 dollar truck. Eventually he found a truck that was in my price range, at 7k. The truck didnt look that great at first, no canvas or bows, or mirrors, but he gave me the price before looking it over to much. The tires were all 90% tread or better and both seat frames were there and it had the older bed style which I actually wanted more. The salesman did not think it would start....it did, no smoking, sputtering purred very nicely, air pressure and oil were good, power steering worked, I drove it around and it went very well, so I own it now. I do have the feeling the salesman wanted to up the price after he saw it out and driving around but I was very firm that he had already stated the price. So I will check it out more when I get it home but it doesnt look that bad, and I like it.... :D If I post the serial number can anyone find out more about it, or how would I do it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
and I like it....
It's great that you found/bought one that you like! Now, did you go there to look and not bring your camera? nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks