• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-tons & Weigh Stations

Jinx

Hi all,

I currently own a deuce and have a class-A CDL. I obtained my CDL mainly to get a 5-ton or larger truck later. Here's my question, do 5-tons and larger ex-military trucks need to stop at weigh stations? If I registered it as a historical vehicle, would it be exempt?

I haven't seen anyone with a larger truck talk about this and was wondering what their thoughts were on the matter.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every station I ever saw says all trucks. Sometimes I pull in sometimes I don't.
Wrong officer wrong choise you got a ticket. Been lucky so far.

I got pulled over in my duece towing a 30ft flatbed trailer with a jeep cherokee on the back - the Trooper was very cool - She never even asked for any paperwork (once she got her head around the fact it was a private vehicle) and just suggested for ease of travel that I just stop in the weigh stations when they are open and just say hi...

I took the same truck to Ft Lewis DRMO and the gate MP's were all confused when I didn't have any orders or a pass already... Guess I did a pretty decent job painting and marking the truck rofl

Matt

Edit: carefull with the collector plates as you technically cannot tow or carry a load with the truck - the WA DOL folks even were cautioning against the towbar and steel wheel chock frame I have mounted in the the bed as it is technically a "load" - They just want the tax money...

Last edited:

91W350

I pull in, state I am non-commercial, antique, and always get flagged on. I am certain my truck could pass their inspections, my log book is in bad shape though. Kansas places no restrictions on antique tags other than they cannot be used for a commercial application. I can haul what I want, as long as it is for personal use or favor. My insurance is set up the same way, if my brother needs a load of gravel, the deuce is good with it..... for example.. so to speak.. ;-) Glen

deathrowdave

Weight stations for commercial tagged trucks. You do not need CDL for personal use. If you are using it for profit , better plan on stopping, and better have correct type CDL !!! Driven may commercial trucks this size working for a power company , if you are pulling a trailer better plan on stopping, truck by itself, let her eat !!!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CMV class pickups do get stopped, just ask my guy that got SC DOT stopped in an F-350 two weeks ago.

Over 260001 GVWR, unless an RV requires CDL, can be non-commercial.

We ALWAYS hit the weigh stations, only been red-lighted once and that was so the trooper could just visit about the truck. Better safe than sorry as said above.

Keep them in good shape and there will be no issues. Do be aware of license plates that have incorrect weights or trailer restrictions, and doing ANYTHING in commerce.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Of course veryone is talking about their own states. Call the Highway Patrol and ask in your state.

I did and in NC everything no matter what over 10k lbs has to go through minus busses and RV's.
Do I ever stop in any type of MV ? No , but thats my choice.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's very state - specific, as there are no federal regs for CDLs and weigh stations for private, non-commercial large vehicles.

Call the state DOT/DMV/OMV... for the right info.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No federal reg for CDL??????????? Sure about that?
There is no Fed reg for non-commercial, however as stated, the license requirements are state specific and can be no less than the Fed requirement.
That same regulation allows states to use all the CDL regulations for non-commercial (including RV) license requirements.

Last edited:

Stalwart

I never stop, I don't stop in my F450 at GCVW of 35,000 and I don't stop in the HEMTT at 39,000 empty. I am NOT ever commercial, but I'm using my class A or B depending what I'm driving/towing. Calling them is useless, you call enough times and you'll lots of different answers and none of those will help you if they stop you. I've been flashed to stop and I've been told to bypass in the HEMTT, my actions are the same, I'm not commercial and I don't stop. I've been told by a recently retired WA State Patrolman: "No need to stop." and I'm sticking to that. Stopping only invites more questions that you may not want to answer. aua

03silverado

I wouldn't stop most of those DOT Cops are *******s I like to stay as far away from them as possible I never stop with my 5 ton you dont need the CDL for the 5 tons as far as I know. I only stop when im in my work truck and even then i run around them if possible and not obvious

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No federal reg for CDL??????????? Sure about that?
There is no Fed reg for non-commercial, however as stated, the license requirements are state specific and can be no less than the Fed requirement.
That same regulation allows states to use all the CDL regulations for non-commercial (including RV) license requirements.
Federal CDL regs do not apply to private, non-commercial vehicles unless a state specifically regulates large private vehicles. In LA (and I believe MS), I can drive a M920 semi and trailer without a CDL as long as I'm not commercial and don't travel to a state that requires a CDL for private vehicles, and I don't have to stop at weigh stations.

If you do not check with your state and depend on what you see on the internet, you may be $urpri$ed.

PS - I don't know why it took an hour for my previous post to show up - lost in the ether since posted around 4:50 and it showed up at 5:50?

R Racing

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago in my f350 and a empty trailer and asked why I ran the scales. After a 10 min interigation I was let go but the cop insisted I was using it for commercial use which I wasn't !

Driver523

Many miles crewing Untouchable and Ace of Spades statesside and we have never pulled in, Of all the stations we've passed only once did a vehicle come out and look like it was coming after us, but it turned around and went back before ever reaching our truck. Driver

papercu

if the weight station says all TRUCKS, do you stop in your pickup?
There is/was at least one weight station in FL. on GA-15/US-1 that says "all trucks, this includes pickups" on the sign. Some stop, most don't but if they decide to stop you, you couldn't say you didn't know, so another possible fine. :) Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks