• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$50 HMMWV in a crate?

dilvoy

A similar HMMWV body was sold back in September 2009 for about $3500.

This time around, when the bidding was around $700 someone came along and bid $5200 on all four bodies. They will probably end up on eBay for close to $15,000.

Why is it that people have to hog such deals? Leave some for other. It's like walking by a samples tray at the store and finishing it all as if you were having lunch there.
Are you serious? You diden't know that you could place another bid higher than that $5,200 bid and that price isen't what ends the auction, but that the time running out at the specified time or after the fifteen minute rule ends things? These auctions are not "buy it now" auctions like you see on E Bay, unless you have made a contract with GL for scrap or something else like that. I'm sorry you missed out, but there will be more of these bodys up for auction.

Last edited:

TexAndy

It's not a matter of worth, it's a matter of courtesy. It's like eBay auctions, the bid on an eBay auction could be increasing by $1 per bidder, then the resident jerk comes along 2 days before the auction ends and decides to bump the bid up to $140 on an item that just an hour earlier closed for $132. That bidder has that sense of selfishness that is at the core of the corruption and moral collapse of today's society. It's as if we live in a jungle and everyone is trying to get his hands on as many worldly possessions as he can.

He certainly didn't have to bump the price all the way up to $5400 on all four bodies, a price that was $2000 higher than they sold for a few months earlier. Not everyone has a spare grand or two.
Are you implying that acting on behalf of one's own self-interest is somehow immoral?

Adam Smith would like to have a word with you.

robr

It's not a matter of worth, it's a matter of courtesy. It's like eBay auctions, the bid on an eBay auction could be increasing by $1 per bidder, then the resident jerk comes along 2 days before the auction ends and decides to bump the bid up to $140 on an item that just an hour earlier closed for $132. That bidder has that sense of selfishness that is at the core of the corruption and moral collapse of today's society. It's as if we live in a jungle and everyone is trying to get his hands on as many worldly possessions as he can.

He certainly didn't have to bump the price all the way up to $5400 on all four bodies, a price that was $2000 higher than they sold for a few months earlier. Not everyone has a spare grand or two.
lol you have to be joking its a auction
he was willing to pay more and maybe he wanted all of them and if you want one you have to pony up the money to beat him out

maybe one day UNICEF will get into the MV business
but until then GL and there auction are what you get

I tell you what I can could sell you a body for 700 bucks
but it wont be no HMMWV

Last edited:

aximony

Are you implying that acting on behalf of one's own self-interest is somehow immoral?

Adam Smith would like to have a word with you.

I have four copies of The Wealth of Nations and I have no idea how I ended up with so many.

Anyway, where does one draw the line between selfishness that which does more harm to others and self-interest that is a survival instinct?

jeep-Jeep

He just wanted to seal the deal and not get everyone's hopes up for a $700.00 body.
It is a auction .
my problem with the online part is so many do not get picked up since some people play it like a online game .
I would rather have to go out in person and bid person to person .
I also never tell people where I buy things from just say surplus since so many unaware bidders are paying stupid prices .
or not just budding stupid prices and never picking them up.:confused:

TexAndy

I have four copies of The Wealth of Nations and I have no idea how I ended up with so many.

Anyway, where does one draw the line between selfishness that which does more harm to others and self-interest that is a survival instinct?
That's just it, tho. He didn't harm anyone. Nor would he have been harmed if someone else bought them.

The line of thinking that someone else having too much of something or making "too much profit" somehow harms you is a dangerous one.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe Obama will Change it?
We will call it "HMMWV Body Re-distribution to the Dis-enfranchised Wannabe HMMWV Owner Program" Or "HBRTTDWHOP" for short.

:beer:

Marcel

A similar HMMWV body was sold back in September 2009 for about $3500.

This time around, when the bidding was around $700 someone came along and bid $5200 on all four bodies. They will probably end up on eBay for close to $15,000.

Why is it that people have to hog such deals? Leave some for other. It's like walking by a samples tray at the store and finishing it all as if you were having lunch there.

Bad analogy. The HMMWV's were bought and sample trays are free. No, I am not the buyer nor do I know who the buyer was.2cents

Marcel

Great Scott! Not Moral Collapse!

I agree with you aximony so why don't you divest yourself of all of your worldly MV possessions and begin to aspire toward a more unselfish, incorruptible and morally righteous existence. I would help you in this quest by volunteering myself to unburden you of these possessions at no charge to you. I assure you that as soon as my fully loaded flatbeds withdraw a great sense of relief will wash over you. I, on the other hand, will bear the shackles of unbridled moral turpitude.

KsM715

crap it is a humvee, give it about 5yrs, you'll get one that complete and runs for 2 grand.

Ummmmm yeah I doubt that. How long have deuces been surplused out, they still go for more that 2 grand. If, notice I said IF, they get surplused they will bring alot more than that for a very long time. I bet there are thousands upon thousands of people that would love a HMMWV but could care less about a deuce because its to big of a truck for them but a HMMWV would be nothing more than a "jeep" sized vehicle.

rwbrown72

That's just it, tho. He didn't harm anyone. Nor would he have been harmed if someone else bought them.

The line of thinking that someone else having too much of something or making "too much profit" somehow harms you is a dangerous one.
This is correct. If you read the "Wealth of Nations" you will understand that profits create competition and competition brings the "FREE" markets into balance. Just my 2cents

RWB

P.S. I play an economist during the day. At night I "work" on big OD green things.

rwbrown72

I agree with you aximony so why don't you divest yourself of all of your worldly MV possessions and begin to aspire toward a more unselfish, incorruptible and morally righteous existence. I would help you in this quest by volunteering myself to unburden you of these possessions at no charge to you. I assure you that as soon as my fully loaded flatbeds withdraw a great sense of relief will wash over you. I, on the other hand, will bear the shackles of unbridled moral turpitude.
Those are some really fancy words!rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks