• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50k for a HEMMT

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i like the more common term most people use when thay see a hemtt---BAGT

-BIG A&& GREEN TRUCK

halftrack

Ok, this brings up a question I have wondered about;
Is the articulation optional, or is it a permenant feature of the LVS?
I mean, don't the LVS front axles turn the same amount as a HEMTT, or is the articulation necessary for turning.
Or is the articulation there to make the LVS more manuverable?
Its not optional when the vehicle is in operation or least I never seen it done before. A true Marine Motor T. fellow may correct me on that though. However, being a logistics Marine myself and loaded many aboard ship, it is made to be pinned when being lifted on ship to prevent the truck from articulating in mid-air (this would be disasterous). To combat this, a pin is placed in a slot and a special hoisting frame is used to lift the entire LVS. If you don't have the lifting frame it becomes a nightmare to lift them. The Marines, choose the LVS design over the HEMTT design for the purpose of being more manuverable aboard ship (the gator fleet to be more exact).

However, that being said, I heard the new trucks we are getting will not articulate. I don't know how true that is sho don't hold me to it.

I will find a pic. of it being lifted and add it later.

Last edited:

halftrack

Here is a pic of the area where you lock it to keep it from articulating. Let me clarify. It is not only a pin but 2 pins and a "locking bar" that is pinned in place to keep the power unit from moving.

Attachments

sandcobra164

All so far is correct. The MK-48 is an awesome truck but is slated to be replaced by the MKR LVSR series which is basically an Army PLS with some upgrades. The turning radius of an LVSR is about twice of what the MK 48 could turn in. Nonetheless, the LVSR is a pretty nice truck with alot of "eye candy electronics" on it. I'd actually prefer the Army PLS due to lack of electronic complexity but I've been Oshkosh factory trained on the LVSR and it's a beast. I will note that the MK 48 is pretty unstable when uncoupled from it's rear body unit and if you get over zealous with the brakes, it'll roll over on it's nose. With the rear body unit attached, it is very jerky to any steering input due to the articulation joint. Those shortcomings aside, the 3533's who operate them get it done!!!!!

Stalwart

Yup, going back to Oshkosh for rebuild to the newer models. There is a lot of the vehicle that they can rebuild and reuse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks