• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

51 Reo rear axle problems......any ideas ?

steward

Hello, I'm new to this forum.....I have a problem with my 51 REO 2 1/2 ton 6x6.....it won't move forward consistently but the rear drive shafts are turning.....noise (banging) coming from front rear axle then it will catch but feels like it is slipping. Most of the time I can back up. I'm trying to find a diagram of the rears......any Ideas on what my problem might be would be greatly appreciated. The REO is a Whittenburg modified deuce with a 16ft dump bed, and I have been moving dirt, excavating for our house sight here in N. Idaho......winter comes early up here.....Thanks for your help.....Steward

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get an idea of what might be happening, drain the oil in the suspect differential into a pan, looking for large amounts of metal particles in the oil that make it glitter in the sun (a small amount of this can be normal, just indicating oil should be changed) or likely in this case, pieces of metal. If you see this, then there is something wrong that will require a rebuild or replacement of the differential. You can also remove the stamped metal top cover on the top of the differential and take a look under it to see if any clues to the cause are seen. If the input or output shaft can be moved, loose in the housing, then you have a bearing problem. If this is the case you should see oil coming out of one or both of the seals. I suspect you have a problem with damaged gears and a rebuild or replacement is needed. Take this opportunity to drain and put new oil in the other differentials. It may not have been changed in a long time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers!
(I have moved your thread to the Deuce-section)

Sounds like you lost the spider gears and related parts, inside the differential. If so, you will find broken teeth and chips, after pulling the drain plug.

See this post with pics...

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Or it could be as simple as the sprage T-case is out of adjustment. Try pulling the spline caps off the front axle.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, you may be right: it's an early Deuce... and if it still has the stock T-case, the banging noise may actually come from a slipping sprag clutch, not from the fwd rear axle.

Steward, you said the rear DSs are turning... What about the front DS?

Still won't hurt draining the oil on that diff in question and see what comes out.

gimpyrobb

It could also be the parking brake sticking. They slip in reverse much easier than in forward for some reason.

steward

Thanks for the response......Gimpy, previously to this problem I thought the sprage was gone because I didn't have front drive, but kept using the truck (apparently a bad move). A friend here told me that I probably broke one axle in each rear, which would explain why the drive shafts turn and the truck doesn't move......and the bad sprage explaining the front not working (Gringeltaube....the front drive shaft did not turn when the truck would not move). M543A2......I'll pull the inspection plates and have a look, also draining the fluid, looking for chunks.....thanks. Is the fluid replaced with 80-90 gear lube? Does anyone know where a diagram of the rears can be found? Thanks again for the help.....Steward

gimpyrobb

Pull the rear axles!

It will tell you where to go next. If you have broken axles, I have some spares I can ship you.

steward

Here is an update.....I pulled all 4 axles, had one broken in the rear rear, the front rear axles had to be pried out and I found the splined ends messed up a bit (I think I can clean them up)......but chunks of metal came out when I drained the fluid. Next we pulled out the differential....a LOT of metal in the housing..... must be the the spider gears. So I guess I need 1 axle and a differential.....my question is are all Rockwell differentials interchangeable? Is the front axle differential the same as the rears.....interchangeable?......Steward

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks