• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52 GMC M135 and M211 Projects

JCKC

M135_zpsa8597bcd.jpgM135_on_trlr_side_zpsbc31726d.jpgHi All! I thought I'd share pics of my M135 now that I have it hauled home to my storage lot. It's pretty solid and complete and needs some brake and starter work to get it operational. I am anxious to get started on it, but it will most likely be a Winter project. i also have what's left of a modified M211 equipted with a Clark 5 speed, pics in my photo album. Another pending project. JC in KC

JCKC

Yes, more or less local. It was previously a snow plow / Civil Defense Truck from the TX panhandle. It sat in a building in TX most of its post-Army life.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, more or less local. It was previously a snow plow / Civil Defense Truck from the TX panhandle. It sat in a building in TX most of its post-Army life.

How cool is that! My M135 came from a TXNG unit in the TX panhandle as well. I bet they were stablemates. Can you transcribe the unit markings on the bumpers?

JCKC

I'll need to check out the bumper markings in person next time I am at my storage lot. That area is a bit rough due to the snow plow mounting/welding etc.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

that is one very cool find sir! It looks to be in really good condition.
Where in the panhandle did you find the truck? I saw a similar truck sitting in a lot up in Amarillo, TX but I haven't been by recently to see if it is still there.

Last edited:

JCKC

I think it was Channing, TX, but I'll need to check the title next time I have a chance. I am pretty sure it was not sitting in a lot.

USMC 00-08

that is one very cool find sir! It looks to be in really good condition.
Where in the panhandle did you find the truck? I saw a similar truck sitting in a lot up in Amarillo, TX but I haven't been by recently to see if it is still there.
If that truck is still sitting there in Amarillo, it has been there for at least 7 years. I wonder what is wrong with it? Several times I have wanted to stop and ask about it but it was always the weekend when I was through there and the shop was closed.

Maverick1701

If that truck is still sitting there in Amarillo, it has been there for at least 7 years. I wonder what is wrong with it? Several times I have wanted to stop and ask about it but it was always the weekend when I was through there and the shop was closed.

I stopped by and asked about it back in late 2011. IIRC they thought it was gold plated because they wanted an arm/leg for it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M135 came from Dumas, TX (north of Amarillo) and has the unit (bumper) markings of 72BG (72 Infantry Brigade) 372 ???. This was (is) a unit of the Texas National Guard. It was surplused in the late 70's. I bought it in 1982.

JCKC

Thought I put out an update on my M135. The starter was acting up so I pulled it. It seemed like the bendix so I had a new bendix on hand. Upon disassembly there was some crud under the bendix making it immobile. Soon I'll get it all back together. I rounded up a few functioning batteries, so when the weather warmed up I'll try to get her up and running. :)

JCKC

Ok, another quick update! I put the starter back in and managed to get it started for my first time! It purred like a kitten at idle, but that's all it would do -- idle. I pulled the carb and found the throttle shaft was immobile. There was a carb kit in the cab, so I am going through the carb to freshened it up. There were lots of mud-dobbers under the throttle body!

When I was getting it started I noticed the ignition switch is on the fritz and the light switch disappeared somehow while in storage. More parts to chase down! Hopefully I'll be reporting on a test drive soon.

drlogistics

Hey plowboy, I found a pretty good step by step manual for carb rebuild online. I used it to do mine. It was the first carb I've ever tinkered with and my truck runs great. If I remember correctly is was a manual from Holley. About 30 pages. I can prob find the link if you're interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks