• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52 inch spring swap confusion

MrPandazz

Hello to all, first Id like to say I love the site and have found tons of useful info searching, some of which Ive actually used:mrgreen: . There are a few things I could not find though.
I have a 1987 M1028 with big plans, so far just an ORD shackle flip and a set of beadlocks and 37's.
My question is what are the pros/cons of doing a 52 inch spring swap, what have been your results? (I do have tools, welder, help, ect)
Also, is it possible to keep the front lift points by using a B52 kit or something similar?
Is there really that big a difference from say a soft set of lift springs?

Im in no rush to do this project, college = no money, just gathering info. Thanks

DokWatson

52" spring swap is for flex... not sure what you are asking. A set of stock replacement lift springs to match the shackle flip would probably serve you better. 52" springs aren't guaranteed for a certain amount of lift. You may end up doing a shackle flip and notice the front is an inch lower than the rear using 52" springs.

MrPandazz

Thanks Dok, I know the 52s are more flexy but I hadnt thought about it sagging more up front.
I will most likely go with lift springs up front when I do the project as well as crossover, but would like to know if I do decide to do the 52's up front later on, to make it better off road, can i keep the front tow/lift shackles on the bumper which mount on the frame?

Cucvnut

Well that depends on where you hang your springs and what way you do it. if you use diy4x b52 hangers you might not be able to. if you use the stock spring hangers and move them forward you might.

MrPandazz

Ok i think that answers my question for the most part. Like i said, most likely end up doing just lift springs first so i can actually get out use it more. Btw, I really like your bulid Cucvnut, it gave me a lot of ideas.