• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52 looking for 60ish

Vet89

I drive my M1008 around 52-53 miles per hour - it does not like to seem to go faster - Is this normal? I honestly don't remember from the good old army days how fast they went, I was usually in the 1009.

Outside of re-gearing to 4.10, is it possible to get the beasts to drive faster? I am looking for 55-60mph, not drag racing. I suspect re-gearing would be an expensive process.

edpdx

I was like that when I got mine. Now I routinely drive 60-70 when on the interstate. I think I just got used to how much noise a diesel makes :?

jets1959

I put 255/85r16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires on my M1031 and it does what you want all day long. Plus they look great. Got my last set through my local discount tire shop but used the tirerack.com price to get a discount.

chevyCUCV

I was like that when I got mine. Now I routinely drive 60-70 when on the interstate. I think I just got used to how much noise a diesel makes :?
Well said
I love the sound of a high revving 6.2. 3000 rpms is comfortable to me. I dont do it everyday but when i take the highway im not afraid to go 60-65. I think we are safe up to 4000rpms stock.

Some will tell you that is crazy and diesel cannot do it. But we are talking about a 6.2. Not any other diesel engine.

edpdx

Vet89,

I just changed all 4 tires out. I was running the stock sized Silent Armor Radials. I just changed to the Treadwright "Guard Dog". Here is a pic of them. They are a little noisier; but I have new(er) sound mats in the floor and doors, so it's not bad. These tires, by-the-way, are pretty nice and a bargain at $115 per.
tire tw.jpg

truck1

Ever consider a GearVendor Overdrive?I've got one in my 1028 and run 70mph @ 2310 rpm.Definitely easier on your engine,and better mileage also.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you REALLY need to read this article about the 6.2 and the 6.5 being used in land speed record attempts...

it puts the kibosh on the old myth that the 6.2 is a weak motor...

6.5L Diesel Land Speed Truck, Bonneville Salt Flats, 6.5L Diesel

did the military tell a bunch of wet behind the ears 18 year old's not to 'break uncle sugars truck' by over revinng the motor? SURE THEY DID.

can this motor go above 3500 rpm and survive if prepped properly and not abused? YOU BETCHA...

I drove my M1028A2 from Scranton, PA to Denver, CO 1800 miles and I averaged between 60 - 65 mph - she is STILL running great to this day

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37101-1800-miles-no-license-plates-half-pack-smokes-2.html

check out post #50 where Ken said he was surprised I didn't blow the motor by driving it at 65 mph

FOLKS, these engines are tough, IF you take care of them

I MAY EVEN ATTEMPT A LAND SPEED RECORD IN MINE AT THE TEXAS MILE.

ok, that means if I'm lucky, I'll run it up to 70 - 75 mph in that one mile. Shut it down. Then turn around and do it again.

I'LL BET HUGE MONEY I'LL HAVE THE LAND SPEED RECORD (RECORDED) FOR AN M1028A2 DUALLY!! How kewl would that be?

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

tamecrow

you REALLY need to read this article about the 6.2 and the 6.5 being used in land speed record attempts...

it puts the kibosh on the old myth that the 6.2 is a weak motor...

6.5L Diesel Land Speed Truck, Bonneville Salt Flats, 6.5L Diesel

did the military tell a bunch of wet behind the ears 18 year old's not to 'break uncle sugars truck' by over revinng the motor? SURE THEY DID.

can this motor go above 3500 rpm and survive if prepped properly and not abused? YOU BETCHA...

I drove my M1028A2 from Scranton, PA to Denver, CO 1800 miles and I averaged between 60 - 65 mph - she is STILL running great to this day

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37101-1800-miles-no-license-plates-half-pack-smokes-2.html

check out post #50 where Ken said he was surprised I didn't blow the motor by driving it at 65 mph

FOLKS, these engines are tough, IF you take care of them

I MAY EVEN ATTEMPT A LAND SPEED RECORD IN MINE AT THE TEXAS MILE.

ok, that means if I'm lucky, I'll run it up to 70 - 75 mph in that one mile. Shut it down. Then turn around and do it again.

I'LL BET HUGE MONEY I'LL HAVE THE LAND SPEED RECORD (RECORDED) FOR AN M1028A2 DUALLY!! How kewl would that be?

TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

Bill Heath's 6.5 diesel was a highly modified professionally built engine that was strengthened with such goodies as hydraulic cement, ceramic coated pistons and a forged crankshaft. I wouldn't compare it to the 6.2's that came in our trucks which have inherent flaws like a weak cast crankshaft and a block that is prone to develop cracks in the crankshaft webbing.

Our 6.2's are light duty diesel engines that were designed more for fuel economy than anything else. Drive them sensibly and these flaws 'may' not raise their ugly head. To push them beyond their limit, you're rolling the dice.