• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52 XM211 Recovery

reamos

After posting this in the wrong section I think I'm finely in the right place.I'm in the process of recovering a XM211 that has been stored in a storage unit for the past 13 years. It has a 1999 brake tag, so I would think thats the last time it was on the road.I'm new to this, so any help on what needs to be checked out would be greatly appreciated. All 10 tires plus the spare seems to be new. The fuel tank has been replaced with a plastic tank. But all and all the truck seems to be complete. Haven't had time to do much of checking it out until we can get it out of the storage unit.

2013-01-08 12.18.26.jpg2013-01-08 12.19.31.jpg2013-01-08 12.19.54.jpg2013-01-08 12.20.07.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim Hortons..... It takes coffee and donuts.

I climbed into bed with my local registries office. Had to register a 'home made' trailer. Took coffee and donuts to registries, they assigned it a serial number and handed me my registration. Funny how sugar and coffee makes some folks think clearly.

Not sure how it works where you are but it's always worth a visit and inquiry.

One of the mods moved your other thread into the early deuce forum but something must have gone sideways because it appears inaccessible. Good to see ya back.

Section8

I also have no title with my rig just bill of sale. I was told my best course was to do a vehicle history search with its vin (data plate serial numbers), to see if it shows up. The other course of action is to have a vin number re registered. Once safty inspected to be allowed on the road its re issued a reg number and its good as gold!
Don't know if this is practiced in the staes but as Plowboy said check it out at your local DMV and see what happens.
A re issue in canada is fairly cheap. Hundred dollars I think. Getting insurance for it if not for parade use now that's another story!!
Welcome to the site! That looks like a great find and post LOTS more pics when you get it out in the sun after its 13 year slumber.
There are lots of great people here to help with all of their knowledge and experiences.
Download the TM manuals for the rig! They are available at jatonka.com.

Last edited:

reamos

Thanks for the website for the M211 TM I've been looking around to find them without any luck. Now I have them saved for further use. I did find out some of the paper work to license the truck in Louisiana. We can apply for a miliary vin in lieu of a licnse plate on privately owned mitiary vehicles. I need to have a current color picture showing the military VIN that is stenciled on the vehicle. An affidavit of physical inspection by a certified low enforement officer

reamos

Xm211 027.jpgXm211 029.jpgXm211 032.jpgXm211 039.jpgXm211 040.jpgXm211 041.jpgXm211 042.jpgXm211 038.jpg
Finely got the old girl out of the storage unit and now the real work begins. Had to drop the drive shaft to tow her. Couldn't get the transverse cas to disengage.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a cocky grin on it in one picture, never noticed that before. It must have liked the bath.
What better tribute could you give an old Deuce than to recover it with a premium wrecker, good call.

The first 187 pages of TM 9-8024 covers operations of practically everything on the truck as well as all the 'easy' servicing that you can do for a pre-check. It sounds like a lot but there are 10 pages of photographs just for lubrication points and other sections that don't apply to the deuce.

There's also a cool 'old car start-up procedure' link . . . . .http://www.kaiserbill.com/Web-PDF/Start-Up.pdf from this great thread ....http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?95855-New-M211-Member

You going original?

Let us know what you need......and if you can grab some pics of the steering wheel, engine, the pesky lever linkage, interior.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO1O5PsQDI

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery choice G749

We all have the same cracks on our steering wheel coating, Notice that I said coating!! I'm hoping somebody can find a few pallets of G749 steering wheels in their barn.
That's a nice cab. We cleaned up our paint using a toxic product called 'goof off'. Put some polish to it and yer done.

The info in the TM's for the batteries discusses 1950's technology but it's worth a read. Can't find the demand amp draw requirements....but the info is there.

Page 288, Make: Delco Remy
Model: 6TN23
Voltage: 12

The batteries in the photo are Exide, Select Performance batteries. I think they came from Interstate, on sale, cheap, which sometimes isn't best but it's buyer be...aware. 925 Cold Cranking Amps CCA that don't mind being outside in -20.

It's a good set-up with top threaded post so you can put on a wing nut for quick removal, or just to be able to say wing-nut.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any size battery will work. Takes two. All 12 wheel cyl are the same. Bring one to a NAPA and see if they can get fresh kits. Otherwise Memphis Equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks