• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53 michelin xzl tires

Iceman3005

I did a search and didn't get much information. I would like to run the 53 michelin xzl tires. But I am not sure what rims to use.

Do I use the 3 piece hemtt rims or the 2 piece hemtt rims? hemmt Rims.jpgHemtt Rims 2.jpg

Gunzy

Either HEMTT 20" wheel is fine on front. You can use the standard A2 5 ton SS wheel on the rear axles. You can use 6 HEMTT if you like but you only NEED 2. Also, make sure they a 20" as the have been MK48 21" wheels mistakenly sold as HEMTT 20".

Iceman3005

Cool thanks. Someone not far from me has a bunch of the 2 piece hemtt rims for a decent price. So I will use those on all 6.

74M35A2

That may pull the rears in some, as I don't think the dish is as deep, which is why people go with those on the fronts and they prevent rub in a tight turn, well, as tight as a 9 can turn, anyway.....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool thanks. Someone not far from me has a bunch of the 2 piece hemtt rims for a decent price. So I will use those on all 6.
Funny you should mention that. Today I'm mounting some onto my M925. It's a workout.... for me and the redtruck.

Pull the front mudflaps before you start. And I highly recommend these offset lugnuts. You'l need them on the front axle anyway on an 809series truck.

Attachments

Iceman3005

Funny you should mention that. Today I'm mounting some onto my M925. It's a workout.... for me and the redtruck.

Pull the front mudflaps before you start. And I highly recommend these offset lugnuts. You'l need them on the front axle anyway on an 809series truck.
Do you have a part number for those off set lug nuts?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My poor truck has been on blocks for almost two years. I had a chance to sell the G177's off it (THANKS CLINT!), with the intent of replacing them with 395's within just a couple of weeks. Life got in the way and it didn't' happen.

Meanwhile the blocks sank into the ground, and what I have always considered my pristine keeper truck began to look like a scrap parts truck. It has been a real source of stress for me.

I had a very difficult time lifting the front - the jack pushed into the soft ground even with steel plate under it.

Now that its moving under its own power I'm going to detail clean it and prep it for painting.

(If this is trespass on your hemtt wheel thread, let me know and I'll delete)

Attachments

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Opening this thread back up. Why? Because I'm getting the rims and tires! Yay! Question are lugs different threads on left and right or are all lug threads standard lefty loosy, righty tighty? And should I buy all new special lug nuts for all the wheels?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question are lugs different threads on left and right or are all lug threads standard lefty loosy, righty tighty?
Those are Budd pattern studs (aka stud-centered), so an easy way to remember how to tighten or loosen them is: Tighten to the Front, Loosen to the Rear. If you look closely at each stud, it should have a "L" or "R" stamped on the end, as long as they don't have a ton of paint buildup on them, to correspond to which side of the truck each one should be installed on. NEVER assume, as I've found many a Deuce-and-a-half I've worked on that had left & right studs swapped to either side as the owner(s) needed, all mixed together...so clean off the paint on each stud end to verify (can't hurt; a pneumatic needle scaler from Harbor Freight works well for this without damaging stud threads).

Iceman3005

Got the rims today! Anyone know what is the proper valve stem for the hemtt rims without ctis system?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got the rims today! Anyone know what is the proper valve stem for the hemtt rims without ctis system?

I have these large bore types. You just have to fill the tires from the inside on the rear. Not a big deal if you time them up right for easier access.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Bore-Valve-Stems-for-Combat-Wheels&highlight=
Most military type valve stems will work. Some are single or the 939 has a double turret. They can get pricey on ebay.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have these large bore types. You just have to fill the tires from the inside on the rear. Not a big deal if you time them up right for easier access.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Bore-Valve-Stems-for-Combat-Wheels&highlight=
Most military type valve stems will work. Some are single or the 939 has a double turret. They can get pricey on ebay.

Also available from Erik's:
https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rimvastas12v.html

But like you said, Wes, pricey.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks