• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53" tire seperation

SuperJoe

looking at the 5 ton trucks that people have swapped 16-20s on and wonder how close to each other the tires on the rear actually are. the photos look as if there less than one inch apart. does anyone have an actual measurement? could chains be fitted or is it closer than clearance would permit? just wondered
thanks
Joe

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe,
YOu are correct. the spacing is only a couple inches.
I have Hemtt chains that would have to be put on the steer axle and one of the drive axles of my M813A1.
But not on both the rear axles.
2 chains would definitely interfere. Which is good since I only have four chains, not six.
The Hemtt chains are made from links whose cross sections are at least 1/4" thick.
My plan is to move the chains to my 5 ton bob when it is completed.
I will try to post up some pics.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you should mention it, Joe. I have 1600.20s on my m923 and there is about .75" between.

No way tire chains are going to pass through that.

SuperJoe

thanks for the replys fellas. i knew it was close but .75 inches seems to be nail biting close. do these tires expand under speed or do they not rotate fast enough ? seems any expansion from rotating mass would act as a horrible brake if they were ever to touch the other side. this is interesting to me. any pics available. thanks

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go.
A bit of an optical illusion, on the outer tread it is 3 inches and with the crown of the tire the smallest distance is 3/4".

Got my work out for the day.
The chain is definitely a 2 soldier task.
Luckily I am a big soldier.:mrgreen:

Attachments

SuperJoe

quarkz i feel i should attempt to find some chains similar to the ones you have. where would i begin a search for them?

also being said what would you feel a proper separation on the rear tires would be to run all 6 in chains. i have 15 years driving exp and 0 times i have drove on ice, being from the metro phoenix area.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you didn't ask me specifically, but if you want to run chains on all six you are going to have to go with 1400.20 or smaller tires. There is just no way to run chains on the rears of the five ton with 1600.20 tires.

As for buying chains, Laclede in Hillsboro Oregon makes great custom chains to fit anything you want. As for being in Arizona, go to the nearest tire shop that does big trucks, logging, and farm tires.

Tell them you want a set of Road Grader Chains made up, and to double up the cross bars. What i mean by that is you want fairly close spacing on the chains that go across the tire.

Figure about 325-350 per wheel but you will get good heavy duty chains that are made for a big truck.

SuperJoe

thanks for the answer. that helps a lot. i dont see me needing them but as sure as life goes on the day i plan a trip out of my state, ill be stuck somewhere because of bad weather.

will they not fit because 16s will be to close together or a different reason? total noob with cold weather driving. heck most people here cant even deal with sprinkles from the sky

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the 1600.20 tires are too close together to allow even one set of chains on the rear to pass.

Put chains on the front of a 5-ton with 1600.20s and you be able to get through a lot of snow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks