• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53" tires

Hwhomes

Has anyone tried the Michelin 1600 X r20 tires on their LMTV? They are 53" tall and would seem to be a way to lower RPMs or increase speed.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I was thinking about doing 1400s. I think anything larger would either rub or interfere with the cab folding. I also think you would bring the center of gravity up on the truck making it dangerous to drive the extra speed you would now have.

Hwhomes

Hadn't thought about clearance. Not sure how much effect a 3.5 inch increase in ride height would effect center of gravity.

Your you're idea of 14.00 tires is a good one. Either way seems a less costly, practical way to lower RPMs.

tburk49760

It's way more driveable though. The only downside is steep hills pulling a 17k load. Was slow before, perhaps a bit slower. I can cruise at 60 mph now without flogging the beast. Either way, I was planning on adding about 50 to100 more ponies.

PapaPumpSD

What's your plan for adding HP? I know it's quite affordable to add HP/TQ to the 8.3 6CTAs via the fuel pump but how do you do it with the Cat 3116? Thanks for your continued and valuable insights!

PapaPumpSD

Tim, what's your plan for adding HP? I know it's quite affordable to add HP/TQ to the 8.3 6CTAs via the fuel pump but how do you do it with the Cat 3116? Thanks for your continued and valuable insights!

scottmandu

A turbo and rack adjustment will get you up to the 5 ton 285 hp.. If you raid the marine parts bin for the 3116 an injector /turbo change will yield 425 hp.. But alot of marine engines like to drop exhaust valves so I'd stress an exhaust valve change.

coachgeo

A turbo and rack adjustment will get you up to the 5 ton 285 hp.. If you raid the marine parts bin for the 3116 an injector /turbo change will yield 425 hp.. But alot of marine engines like to drop exhaust valves so I'd stress an exhaust valve change.
how does either of these engine upgrades change MPG? Looks like I'll have the fast Axles but still would like more MPG.

scottmandu

how does either of these engine upgrades change MPG? Looks like I'll have the fast Axles but still would like more MPG.
It takes fuel to make power..

I've heard rumors of 1.75 reduction gears at the hubs and I've been trying to track a set down. The 3116 needs to be spinning ~1800 for best fuel consumption. I've also pursuing a reduction hub eliminator kit which would get cruise rpm to that range, but not sure how well that will work.

srodocker

Defiantly got to see your trucks over in moses lake. Heading there April 30th may 1st. Also curious what the lmtvs would look like with the 1400s on or even 1600 just to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks