• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

54 m38a1 USS CORAL SEA

macibell111

I just got this 1954 m38A1 and it it has all the navy markings on it it is all original,came from a military aucton.it says (below the windshield) it was off the USS Coral Sea.it has low miles ,no rust, grey canvas seats.etc.the odd thing about the paint is that there seems to never had a primer on it anywhere on the jeep is the same old navy grey,but without primer .it was as if the navy got it unpainted and painted it themselves,anyway it is a very clean and solid barn find,i would like to send pics but don't know how to put them on your sight,i will have to try and learn.i am not going to change anything except make new straps which were made out of white webbing and black buckles.thanks for reading . jack

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! sounds like a nice find!

Yo'u can check with weebee webbing, they might be able to reproduce your straps in white instead of OD green.

macibell111

my m38a1

20150521_161052.jpghere is my m38a1 dont have the seats in yet but all original exept for the top enjoy.just learning the picture posting so please be patient thanks jack

Last edited:

Amer-team

There used to be a WW2 Navy jeep up this way that we would see at some of the displays. He had an 1/8" thick steel hood. Story was that they would use it as mobile scaffold on the carrier deck so the guys could stand on it. It was an interesting and useful modification. Other than that, it appeared to be stock.

One of my father's friends, who was a crewman on a Navy supply ship in WW2 told me, that one of their first duties when pulling into a port, was to go round up an Army jeep. They would bring it back to the ship, hoist it on board, and give it a quick coat of Navy gray. The Captain would then have a vehicle for running around on shore. He said the Army guys would be buzzing all over trying to find the stolen jeep. When they left port, they would leave the jeep there.

It is neat to see the Navy jeeps, as there weren't anywhere near as many. Thank you for sharing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks